HybridZ

Rear Shoe Adjustment for a 72 240Z

After installing all new rear brake parts on my 72 240Z I have had a problem with the right rear locking up when making an emergency stop. The OEM shoes have about 200 miles of city driving on them. So I backed out the right side adjuster and now the left rear tends to slightly lock up and pedal travel has increased. I was thinking I should just slacken the adjusters all the way loose and use the hand brake to adjust the shoes and not mess with the adjusters at all. Also, on this car the front brakes,new with about 200 miles on them, will not lock at all. The master cylinder is new OEM. We have put about a gallen of Ford brake fluid through the system and no air bubbles are present.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Miles

In my experience, using the hand brake when the brakes are FAR out of adjustment doesn't work. You will NEVER get good pedal feel from a 240 brake system if the rears are not adjusted out as far as they'll go without dragging. I would readjust the rears, and put some more miles on it. I don't recall, are the pads the same f/r or different? My GM vehicles have a different pad on the leading edge vs. the trailing edge so make sure you don't have them swapped or both the long ones on one side and shorts on the other.

There is a leading and trailing shoe(for each side)so they can only go on correctly!

How old are the wheel cly.?

How old / bad is the brake fluid?

Again ajust the rears(w/ the rear off the ground)

Did you cut the drums? Are they in good shape? Is 1 of them cracked? Have they been cut to much already / one cut more than the other?

If you haven`t, you might want to do a 4 wheel brake fluid flush!

Make sure you bleed out the master cly also!

Mike

The rear shoes have a leading and trailing shoe. I installed them per my manual and compared them to my other 72 240Z. The install looks ok.

Also, the fronts just will not lock up. I don't have the tools or tubing knowledge to install a proportioning valve so I may have a speed shop install one or find someone who could make me up a complete bolt in kit. I was planning on removing the stock PV and attaching the new adjustable PV to the old stock PV lines in the rear and then mounting the new PV in the passenger side tool box. If someone could make me up a kit with PV, flared pre-bent tubing,and adaptor fittings would be preferable to paying a speed shop to do the work.

Thanks

Miles

Doug

All parts front and rear except the stock proportioning valve and the connection block located under the MC are new OEM parts. The MC is new OEM also. I have tried to adjust the rear shoes to just short of dragging, then the right or left wheel will lock up under hard braking .

Miles

Well,

you can take it off - 1 take it apart and clean it! 2 remove it, run new line and then mount a PV inside pass compartment where you can get to it to ajust it!

I`m sure you should be able to find someone in your area to help(if you need it). It`s not hard, but you will need some tools, a tubing bender and a tubing flare kit!