HybridZ

Good exhaust shop in OC or nearby? $500 to $600 quotes.....

ktm

I am nearly done with my build and only need the exhaust system built. I have gotten three quotes from three separate places for a 3" mandrel bent aluminized system for $500 to $600, including the downpipe.

Is this reasonable? If not, just where should I be going?

That would be a welcome 'gloat post' at another site on this subject! LOL

As far as materials goes, meh...that's a wash. It's having the damn bender and the labor time to weld one up from pieces that is the 'competitive' issue. On an S30, the system isn't nearly as complex as an S130, but if it's a one-piece from the tranny junction to the muffler out back (downpipe separate) I can see that price.

Doing it from bends you cut and piece together, and buying the tubing, doing it yourself that way will kill a day...so the price I would compare to is that in my case.

Many times if you split it so they can run the tubes in the machine and get the angles correct in two separate bends it's usually cheaper. For a car that will have the tranny removed regularly (no aspersions, just something to think about) flanging to the rear of the tranny makes for lower costs in bending, and for maintenance access later.

FYI, the Trust?GReddy exhausts are flanged at the downpipe near the engine/tranny flange, then again rearward of the tranny. This may be for shipment or packaging, but having flat flanges at the rear of the tranny makes dropping it a snap. 6 M10 bolts and that whole section is out of the way!

We all want PHOTOS of the system when it's done! Mandrel 3" Gaaaarrrrgh!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an old thread of mine. Adrian at Vildini Motorsports fabricated my exhaust. It is a true 3-in. mandrel bent exhaust, including the downpipe, mild steel, mig welded, with 2 oxygen sensor bungs. I supplied the Borla XR-1 muffler and the downpipe flange.

I paid $400 for the exhaust, plus another $120 for the Borla, for a total of $520. It's a nice, tight fit and is about as straight as it can be, especially near the rear gas tank/differential.

would like to start making mandrel bend exhaust systems for z and zx models have a zx with a rb set up so i can dupe my own . need pattern for the s30 and s130 turbo so i can start making very reasonably looking to make complete systems minus muffler between 200.00-250.00 in three inch yes have bendermovemandrel-1.gif