HybridZ

L28 EFI to L26+ex.megasquirt

Blobber

I tried to search about this because surely some one has done this. But I didn't found it. What parts do I need for this? Injectors, fuel rail ? what else? Do I have to make big modifications to my early 260z+L26 to get it fit? and what about if I put megasquirt9+l28 efi parts? And could you explain it simple because this is totally new subject for me.

go to the Junk yard and find yourself a early 280z and pull the head and everything attatched to it, then pull the wireing harness out of it and install it in your 260z that should be a bit helpful to you and it will be an easy swap for ya

I highly doubt you could find a Z in the junkyard in Finland.. lol

Yep! No 280Z's outside North American Market. And a 280C Coupe or Sedan would probably be like finding hen's teeth...

Probably the best way would be to follow the thread on the converted SU to EFI thread that used twin Throttle Bodies in place of the carburettors. With that, any set of injectors would work if you machined the existing manifold, then you find whatever you need for an air door---putting a plenum on the SU Runners and any Throttle Body from a comparable sized engine that is locally available would work.. From there yes, fuel rail, fuel pump, some way to make sure the fuel pump stays flooded in fuel...so surge tank or swirl pot, injectors, air temp sensor, water temp sensor...that should do it after wiring harness is fabbed up.

Most of the stuff can be salvaged from locally available EFI Cars, and the Megasquirt Calibrated to work with what you can find.

As for the 280Z comment...what can you say to him? "Buska Paa!"

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSH! Blobber, it's our secret...LOL Even if I spelled it wrong, phonetically, it's right eh?

Another option is to find a seller hear in the states that is willing to ship you an EFI manifold and N42 head. Or like Tony said, figure out how to use throttle bodies instead of SUs on the stock manifolds. I haven't seen it done, but maybe one GM TBI injector mounted in each throttle body. TBI is interesting because it is much lower pressure than port EFI, and I think the small stock return line would work with TBI.

Or, talk to the guys at Extrudabody, maybe they will ship to Finland. They have a nice SU EFI conversion kit.

If I go the way that I'm going to take the necessary things from L28 EFI engine. What would I really need from that?

- EFI manifold

- N42 head (is there other kind of EFI heads?)

What else? Injectors? high-pressure pumps? Are the wiring harness necessary?

Also a basic question. Will L28 EFI inject the fuel straight to the cylinder or first to the manifold? Sorry if I'm not so clear. It's just because this is so new thing to me... :rolleyesg

If I go the way that I'm going to take the necessary things from L28 EFI engine. What would I really need from that?

- EFI manifold

- N42 head (is there other kind of EFI heads?)

What else? Injectors? high-pressure pumps? Are the wiring harness necessary?

Also a basic question. Will L28 EFI inject the fuel straight to the cylinder or first to the manifold? Sorry if I'm not so clear. It's just because this is so new thing to me... :rolleyesg

it injects the fuel into the head at the valve. you will meed the wiring harness for the EFI and the EFIECU, and there are more heads than the N42... N47, (maxima) MN47, P90, and that is about it i think, the manifold will bolt up the all the heads from n42 on up to the P90. also the P90 has round exhaust ports that are lined with ceramic i believe

I found out that late 260z's used EFI. Which head did those engines use? Would it be easier for a first timer to make a L28ET or L28 swap than to build L26 with EFI? Wiring isn't a problem...

Edit: Also If I have understood correctly both L28ET and L28 are bolt-on swap and don't need any changes in th e drivetrain? Correct me if I have understood wrong.