HybridZ

RB Motroring

KTM-EXC

Just a heads up for anyone looking to buy some wheels... I recently bought some Advan Oni wheels from RBmotoring and to say the least I'm very disapointed. The pictures they showed me of the wheels showed them to be in near excellent condition. I recieved the wheels and there coroded, covered in brake dust and overall they look horrible, nothing I would ever put on my car. So if anyones looking to buy any wheels from them just make sure you get pictures of every inch of every wheel before buying.

Rob

I have bought some wheels from them and they are great. They were all used and not new. RB motoring don't even do retail all there stuff are straight from japan second hand, rarely new.

you have to remember that they deal with JDM parts which are used in japan, that is there specialty. theres other shop that sell new stuff but its not going to be JDM but something like rota, drag, or konig . Just make sure you do your research on what shop specialize in before buying.

My wheels came in looking just like the photos, I ended up repainting them because they needed it, but that wasn't rbmotoring's fault. I had no problems at all with their customer service or the product. I'm sorry you were disappointed with what you got, but brake dust comes off pretty easy, and as for the corrosion...:worthless:

Let's see the pictures they posted of the wheels, then show us what you got. I think that's only fair when stating something like that. They almost always detail the problem areas on their wheels, I'm sure to avoid situations just like this.

For instance, here is a 15" Oni that's still for sale from the main www.rbmotoring.com site, and you can clearly see the rust on the bolts, and the scuffed finish on the spokes:

DSC04326_04.JPG

I did not say anything bad or rude about the company but just that anyone looking to buy wheels from them should ask for more detailed pictures. So yes its mostly my fault, I should have asked more questions etc... I just wanted to give people a heads up.

but heres a picture of one of the wheels. Keep in mind this is after using heavy duty wheel degreaser a special wheel cleaner brush and a pressure washer. Two of the wheels have some of that residue or corosion on the outside lip but not too bad, iv already gotten most of it off with a wire wheel. It will not come off with scotch brite or steel wool but I'v found that using my 8" wire wheel will slowly take it off.

DSC_0609.jpg

Heres a picture they showed me. They didnt give me any information except.. "The size are 16x8J+25 114.3 4 lug. It fit on 240SX. Condition show as picture. Imported from Japan" So like I stated it's my own fault for not asking enough questions, I had just heard a lot of positive reviews about them so I figured I'd be fine.

oni.jpg

Im not worried about making them look bad or anything like that but wanted to give people a heads up and would also apreciate some suggestions on cleaning them up.

Veritech, did you ever take yours apart? I managed to get one of the fasteners out but I really need the specific tool to remove them and not sure what kind of fasteners Advan used. I also need to order new nuts and washers because they are rusted pretty bad. Do you have any pictures or suggestions or anything that would help me? My plan was to take them apart and wire wheel the entire inside then paint it with something like duplicolor wheel paint. Then repolish the lip. I didnt know what kind of clear I should use after I polish them though? Also how do they come apart, it almost looks like the centers wont even come out?

thanks

Rob

I don't have Advans, but I DO have Impul RS-III's which are often mistaken for Advans. I took the bolts out, but the way mine are put together, the two halves of the lip sandwich the center section (hard to tell from your pictures, but the Onis appear to be the same...look at where the valve stem cutout is, and it will show you the various layers). There is an adhesive on the bead that keeps the pieces from leaking-in effect glueing the rim sections together, and I didn't take that off. I've found that when painting wheels, you can easily mask off the lip by just making a cylinder out of posterboard and resting it on the edge of the lip. I painted my MOMOs and my Impuls in this way. My Impuls had 12pt 8mm bolts, with 6pt 10mm nuts on the back, and aside from the torque needed to break them loose (I was worried about stripping the 12pt side, the bolts are all chromed and have "Impul" cast into the heads), I didn't have too much trouble...but there are 49 per wheel! PIA...I took the bolts out so I could paint the lips blue with the Dupli-color Metalcast paint. It looks pretty good, I think.

DSC_0044.jpg

The white is Duplicolor wheel paint, and I used their wheel clearcoat over the whole thing after I finished.

And the MOMOs for good measure:

momopix002.jpg

Hope that was helpful. By the way, did you get your wheels off of eBay, or did you use the main website? They have all the eBay auctions on the site as well, and there are usually more photos on the website than the auctions...For the record, if that's the only picture you were given, that was VERY misleading!

Thanks for the pictures those wheels look great, and they look almost Identical to my Oni's. The designs on the center look amazing, something like I would want to do eventually but I'm not that talented. Like yours the center doesnt actually come out. I'm just taking the bolts out because the nuts/washers aren't stainless and are severely rusted. Im not worried about painting too much. The centers are in pretty good shape and the outside lip is going to be polished. Although after I wire wheel the inside I may paint them with that same duplicolor wheel coating to prevent any problems

The tree was hand painted from three or four (don't recall) different colors of touch up paint while I was working at the Saturn parts department, if you can believe that. It looks better on the white ones than it does on the black ones (I did my rear wheels in black) in my opinion:

DSC_0045.jpg

In retrospect, I should have done the rear wheels in white, and the front in black so I wouldn't have to worry so much about brake dust, but I rarely drive the car, so it won't matter too much...

If you do end up painting your center sections, be sure and have some vinyl Oni logos made up, otherwise people will just assume they are the S-A3As. For awhile I had mine graphite with a polished lip, and I hand cut the Impul Hoshino Racing RS-III logos out of reflective vinyl (think Stop sign lettering), but I got tired of it and wanted something a little more "out there" like the rest of the car.

Then:

DSCI0018.jpg

Now:

newtires5.jpg

Definitely post pictures of those on the car once you get them ready, the Advan Oni is one of my favorite wheels of all time! By the way, you'll need spacers if you want those to fit on a Z with that offset.

wow, I really like how those look with the tree in the center. Im going to start asking around to see if anyone around here is talented enough to do something like that for me. My logo that says... Advan Racing Oni, is cut into the wheel so I wouldnt have to worry. And like you said the white does look better. I had some S-A3As with a white center that I really liked but they were 5 lug and TT tuning stopped making 5 lug adapters. I would probably do the centers white with the paint scheme and leave my outer lip polished.

As for spacers I already talked to Techno Toy Tuning and once I finishing cleaning up these wheels and get my tires mounted Ill see exactly what size spacer is needed.

thanks

rob

Why dont you just sand blast the back of the wheels? It will take ~10 minutes per wheel and very good (perfect) surface finish for fresh paint. If you dont have access to a sandblaster any auto-shop would probably do it for ~$10 per wheel. Way better than wire wheeling it.

And of course the backs of the wheels are going to have brake dust, dirt, etc. What did you expect man??

Even though you havent posted any pictures of the SAME SIDE (lol) of the wheels to compare I dont think the company is at fault here...

KTM, it's not as hard as you might think to do something like that. Just do the lightest color first, and build up. One of these days I'll take a better picture just of the tree (My car is parked in St. Pete at my grandfather's, I'll be living most of the week in Orlando, and spending weekends in Tampa with my wife) or I can scan in a drawing paint by number style so you can maybe do a template (this would work better on the Oni than the RS-III since they're pretty flat). Or if you want a different shape, maybe we can figure something out that would fit your build better than the tree. If you were local to me, I'd do it for you if you bought the paint, but being as you're on the other end of the country...

Seeing as they're Onis, I'd be tempted to do like an Oni (minor demon, like an imp) face, or maybe a fox or something...