HybridZ

I Can't Decide.... HX35 or HY35...

Drop_Team_Z

I've got an LQ4 (6.0 Liter) I'm gonna turbo and I can't decide if I should go with two HX35s or HY35s. I've been searching and learning more and more. Everytime I decide on one I start thinking that the other would be better for me! I keep talking myself into one, then, the other. So, I figured I'd ask you guys. Which would be better? All I really have planned for the car is Drag Racing on the strip and Aggressive driving on the street.

Here is the car it's going into.

777043_72_full.jpg

I think that two hy35's would do the job just fine. Each turbo is rated for 350hp+. The HX35 is a pretty big turbo which is rated for about 550 and with 3.0l of exhaust gases feeding each turbo, I'm not sure it will be enough for the quick spool most look for in a TT application. Additionally, the only way to truly utilize the HX35's divided housing is with split pulse exhaust manifolds, which can cost you a good amount of money. Is there enough room under your hood for two hx35s with that motor anyways? I don't know how well the head on your motor flows and I don't know what you're looking for as far as driveability or power so my knowledge is limited. If spool time is not a big deal, try an hx35/40 hybrid as this could be a good option for a high horsepower application with considerably quick spool. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The 2 liter DSM guys say that an HX35 with the small housing spools about 250-300 RPMs later than an HY35. a pair of HX35's would be fine. Plus the HX35 can accept an HX40 compressor housing and there are more available turbine housings if you ever need to upgrade.

I vote for 2 HX35 turbos. Plus they are WAY easier to get...

I have to ask, what sort of a price do the HY-35's demand currently?

I'm not looking to turbo the Z, (at least not yet), but I need a replacement for the stock turbo on my 3liter MB diesel that's about to eat itself alive.

I keep drooling over the thought of yet another turbo car, but as it sits, I just want to get the Z up and running as a usable car!

You are probably looking at $500-$600 for a pair of nice ones. They should be the same part numbers so you may have to take a while of asking around forums and on Evilbay to find a pair of the same model#s.

For a nice low mile HY35 (read 20k miles and perfect condition) they go for about $350-$450. You can take your chances with one of those $150 ones but they are usually nasty.

I think that two hy35's would do the job just fine. Each turbo is rated for 350hp+. The HX35 is a pretty big turbo which is rated for about 550.

Erm, I was pretty sure that the HX35 has only as slight increase in power capacity over an HY35... Like, maybe 30 hp. They both went on the same truck the same year; just a different transmission.