HybridZ

serpentine belt question

I have a 91 350 so it came with the serpentine belt setup. I didn't think it would clear the hood so I did away with the brackets that where on the left and right heads. Plus I wasn't going to have AC or PS so I didn't really need much. The plan is to mount the alternator on the pass side and run the belt from the crank to the water pump and alternator. No idler. I swapped out the water pump with an older one so I would have the port for the heater core and it would turn the correct rotation.

The question. Will the serpentine belt fail prematurely if I run the ribbed side on the flat water pump pully?

ok, i have a 302 ford but a belt is a belt and a pully is a pully :)

i'm running a Vbelt with the ribbed side on the flat water pump pully, i dont think it will fail or throw the belt, but it will slip alot giving that squeeky annoying noise whenever you start the car or rev it.

DSC00390.jpg

here you can see how the belt marked the WP pully

DSC00443.jpg

installed

i would recommend that you buy a water pump pully with grooves, that's what i did, i ordered mine from summit and its about 79 bucks. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCH%2D2004&N=700+0&autoview=sku

check them out.

It's incredible that anytime I am contemplating a problem someone here on hybridz is a posting the exact question I was thinking of. This happened about three times now and always with specific questions like this. That's hybridz for ya :).

I was also going to try to run the ribbed side of the belt on the original pulley. I think 90 dollars is way to much for just a pulley. Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative like pressed steel instead of aluminum? Converting to a v belt is cheaper that a pulley like that.

this is the link for the chevy pullies, not sure which one will work best for you since i'm not a chevy expert at all :)

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=March+Performance+Aluminum+Serpentine+Water+Pump+Pulleys&N=700+4294908216+4294840140+115+4294845111&Ntk=KeywordSearch

hope this will help you

thanks, didn't even know something like this existed. 90.00 is a bit expensive for a pully but not to bad for a solution I guess. Thanks for the links.