HybridZ

Octane Booster

Scottie-GNZ

Let me state that I am not an advocate of octane boosters but a buddy of mine asked me to find out what I can about a product from Catle Power that claims to have the highest octane increase allowed by law, 10 pts. Only thing I can find are ads for the products which are going to make those claims.

Anyone ever heard of it or better yet, use it or know anyone who used it and had good results.

10 pts means it will take your gas from 92 to 93 octane. Most of the stuff raises it 1 or 2 points which means from 92 to 92.1 or 92.2. Most octane boosters are Xylene which is 118 octane or Tolulene which is 114 octane or a mixture of both. It's pretty easy to figure out how much octane you'll end up with by determining the octane of your booster and then adding the octane per gallon and dividing the number of gallons in the tank. When I was running Tolulene I was putting in one gallon for 5 gallons of 92. So 92 x 5 + 114 / 6 = 95.6666666 octane.

Most of the bottled additives don't work as pointed out. However there are some with MMT and ferosene that actually work and can raise the octane rating by about 1 to ~2.5. The small bottles of toluene do not work (you need gallons of it).

See articles:

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/0503ec_octane_boosters_tested/index.html

(click on the bottom right box for results of the test)

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t87087.html

(nice review, but old, so some products may have changed.

I have used one of the nos racing formula with good sucess (able to raise psi by 1-2 along with 2 degrees of timing).

The ones rated for off road use are often the better ones (I think some add a little lead as well) and often not the best for catalytics or 02 sensors if used often. It may be hard to get these days.

I also had read that one of the previously well rated ones changed the formula and is no longer good, unfortunately I can't remember which one.

Let me state that I am not an advocate of octane boosters but a buddy of mine asked me to find out what I can about a product from Catle Power that claims to have the highest octane increase allowed by law, 10 pts. Only thing I can find are ads for the products which are going to make those claims.

Anyone ever heard of it or better yet, use it or know anyone who used it and had good results.

Scottie, have you heard of ERC fuels? John and I have talked with the owner about blended fuels he offers a 20% and a 30% methonal mix for around $5.00 a gallon. The only problem he is located in California, but with the freight and barrell charge it comes out to be $10.00 a gallon or $550.00 for 55 gallon drum. We have not placed a ordered yet, we are still thinking about it. Jerry