HybridZ

Fuel pump relay...where is it?

240zwannabe

i've searched and searched but can't find this mysterious relay. i do have a haynes manual but it doesn't give a very good description as to where it is. can somebody please show me some light and tell me where it is? it's the only thing keeping me from starting my z!!! p.s. pictures are better

ok, i must be retarded but i still can't find it. i know exactly where the FI relay is but i can't find the fp relay. i checked under that box next to the battery next to the voltage regulator but i'm not seeing it. i do have an idea of what it looks like i looked it up in the victoria british catalog...ughh somebody please help me

ok the EFI relay is also the FP relay check the green/yellow stripe for power at the efi relay while cranking the engine or disconnect the air intake hos at the front of the AFM and push it in a little put something there to hold it open a little like a pencil or something then check the wire w/ the key on. if you have power then you might have a bad fp, also check the wires on the fp itself doing the same checks

Ok, first, buy yourself an FSM. Seriously. 77 manuals are easy to get on ebay (in comparison with other years), I have 4 of them and I don't even have a 77 any more.

Here's one up for 5$ right now with 0 bids: (not my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Datsun-280z-service-manual_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34229QQihZ011QQitemZ320149176959QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

The FP/EFI relay (a double relay) is under the dash near the steering column. It's not that hard to find because it's the only double relay down there. But if you had an FSM you'd see exactly where it was immediately, they have a nice cutaway diagram showing it.

In 78 they went to 2 seperate relays. 75-77 is a single double relay unit, which sucks because MSA wants like 100$ for a new one and they're NLA from Nissan.

i do have a FSM, in fact i have 2 myself. but when i go to autozone and look through the victoria british catalog to buy a new one it shows a single relay, this is why i was confused. i know exactly where that relay is i was simply confused. thank you for clearing things up, spacecase had me in complete misunderstanding.