HybridZ

Converting the S30 speedo to electric.

cygnusx1

I am going to attempt the nearly impossible. I bought the Z32 trans swap from Austin, and it has an electric speedo sender. I have a few choices to make.

1)Put in an aftermarket electric speedo. ($200+)

2)Put in the electric to mechanical converter box ($300) OUCH!

3)Try to install a mechanical sender in the Z32 trans (not sure how difficult or if it's possible)

4)Stick the electronic guts from a Z32 speedo behind the S30 Speedo.

I really want to keep the factory look and function of the stock speedo with the indicator lights and odometer but in order to squeeze the guts of the Z32 speedo, I will lose the odometer function but may be able to retain the indicators.

I found out that the electronics from the Z32 speedo are pretty compact and might be pretty easy to mount behind the S30 face. With some electronic calibration, this might work well.

here is some Z32 speedo info:

http://tech.aus300zx.com/idial_install/recalibration.pdf

Older - than - me (on this site) is building custom gauges using model aircraft servos to drive the needles.

Servos are fed a pulsewidth, usually between 1 and 2 ms at a fairly low frequency. If you knew what type of signal came out of the transmission, a simple $4 microcontroller can do the conversion for you. With minimal support circuitry, of course.

Just sayin', its an option if you like to "roll your own"

If the speed sensor is the same one they use on the 240SX, then it should take a standard speedo pinion. The 240SX speed sensor fits in the late ZX trannies, and if you 'slot the groove' and rotate it 180 degrees it will fit in the early cases as well.

If it's a gear to drive the sensor (like the 240SX) then it should be converted pretty straightforward. If it's an MPU that reads something obscure like output shaft gear teeth...then you're poochin' it bigtime!

Good Luck, let us know how it works out!