HybridZ

what turbo

rdsk8ter

ive been doing alot of reading the last couple days about turbos. I did a search but couldnt find what i needed.i am building a sbc350 to a 383 to build it to optimal i have to decide what turbo to run with i thought about twins then i thought about compound now im seeing sequential and im way over my head basically im going for weekend warrior/ 1/4 mile track car. i would like to get under 10.9 (remember im in colorado high altitude) your suggestions are greatly appreciated

Sounds like you should search the plentiful SBC forums for that one. FYI, you don't want to try to run sequential. That's just an overly complicated attempt made by some OEM's to get a bit more response out of it. To be honest, you need to read some about how turbos work (try Corky Bell's book Maximum Boost). I would say go for a single turbo setup for fewer parts to buy. Twin turbo doesn't net you faster spool unless the turbos are sized different than the single that mimics them. The only significant benefit is shorter hotside piping and it is usually considered to look prettier. I personally like twin turbo for V motors and a single for inlines. YMMV.

Make sure you built the bottom end stout and don't worry about stretching the stroke or raising compression. Just get a nice stout crank/piston/rod setup and aim for 8.5:1 compression; perhaps 9:1. Try to maintain the rpm capability of the stock stroke.

most builds depend on your skill level.

no doubt a single turbo is easier to build and tune

If this is your first turbo build keep it as simple as posible

use parts thet are easily found in multiples and inexpensively because you will probably brake a few before you get it dependable.

However inexpensive and cheap have 2 different meanings. quality over cost within reason is always a better buy.

under a 10.9 should be easy to without a turbo if the motor is built and Tuned correctly.

so it sound like a single turbo will be the best route to go for me now what would you all reccomend for the single. Now am i mistaken what thinking that the stroke will change the way the boost hits? talking to my engine builder he said the 383 stroker is amazing with boost. i understand how the turbo itself works but i guess the sizing and picking of the turbo is where i get lost (reading can get very confusing with add my mind wonders really bad and i have to read it like 4-5 times befor it even starts to sink in) ive been told a single t-4 60 trim would be good then others would tell me dont do that go holset i just want to get alot of oppinions befor i start you know to learn off others mistakes

I hate to be bold but you're still not giving us enough information for turbo sizing. You need to know what compression, cams, intake, fuel system, etc before we can help you. Reading might be tedious but you will get much better end results by learning a little more and then planing your build.

I hate to be bold but you're still not giving us enough information for turbo sizing. You need to know what compression, cams, intake, fuel system, etc before we can help you. Reading might be tedious but you will get much better end results by learning a little more and then planing your build.

ok now im really confused because i was told for best results i need to build my engine around the turbo, diffo ratio etc etc. the compression will be 9-1 or lower like mabey 8-1 area the cam i have no friggin clue because he wants me to build around the turbo is this not true is it better to build then get the turbo orwhat because this guy seemed to know his ♥♥♥♥ now you all got me wondering if he is full of it. anyway im thinking some really high flowing heads and a mild cam i dont think i could go heavy if boosed correct? the bottom end will be built up strong

The point is, the whole thing needs to be built as a package together. There are too many different ways of going about it. All depends on the characteristics you want out of the engine. You're going to have to do more research, because nobody can or is going to spoon feed it to you. Or you can go the other route and find a good engine builder. Tell him exactly what you expect and be ready to shell out some big bucks.

The point is, the whole thing needs to be built as a package together. There are too many different ways of going about it. All depends on the characteristics you want out of the engine. You're going to have to do more research, because nobody can or is going to spoon feed it to you. Or you can go the other route and find a good engine builder. Tell him exactly what you expect and be ready to shell out some big bucks.

True words.

It's all in what you want. You have to know what it's going to behave like and what you want it to do precisely at the very beginning and then move from there. I am afraid you need to build some knowledge first. Try some of the turbo forums and books (Corky Bell for one) to get rolling.

True words.

It's all in what you want. You have to know what it's going to behave like and what you want it to do precisely at the very beginning and then move from there. I am afraid you need to build some knowledge first. Try some of the turbo forums and books (Corky Bell for one) to get rolling.

i ordered the book today thanks alot guys from what im seeing im thinking of a single t4 turbo 60 trim but i will do some more research

That book does have alot of info but it won't really help you with sizing all that much. Look and see what turbos similar sized engines are running at the boost you have in mind. I can tell you it won't take very much much boost for a 383ci engine to max out a 60 trim (E, I'm assuming) T4.

yea i just found that out too ive been up reading all night lol dont tell the wife but it looks like i would have to go with twin t4s for that to work im thinking i would be better off putting a larger deisel turbo on there it sounds stupid but im also thinking (could be lack of sleep) that i would like the turbo to spool around 2000-2500 rpm. i realize this will give me a shorter boost but it would also let me get off the line without crazy spinning does anyone have any good sights for putting deisel turbos on gas engines? or are there any good books you all would reccomend?

That book does have alot of info but it won't really help you with sizing all that much. Look and see what turbos similar sized engines are running at the boost you have in mind. I can tell you it won't take very much much boost for a 383ci engine to max out a 60 trim (E, I'm assuming) T4.

i would like the turbo to spool around 2000-2500 rpm. i realize this will give me a shorter boost but it would also let me get off the line without crazy spinning does anyone have any good sights for putting deisel turbos on gas engines? or are there any good books you all would reccomend?

The sooner you get boost the sooner you'll make torque. If full boost can be reached before peak torque then you will have quite a bit of torque at peak torque compared to having it come on later or after peak torque. I guess I'm trying to say that if you will have alot more torque if it spools around 2k rather than later. Once you get used to that much power it's fairly easy to control with the right foot. I know you don't have an LS motor but discplacement is about the same. Look here under forced induction http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/index.php? and see what everyone is using, look at the dyno's. It will give you a good idea when the turbo comes on based on the torque curve. As for diesel turbos, most are. Even the new GT series are used on diesels. I would look at spending a little more for something that will support the airflow you need and have more in it if you want to push it later. There's alot of cheap stuff out there. Usually it is for a reason. Z-gad on here had a turbo ( 76 gts) for sale that would suit your engine and definitely have enough air in it.

Maybe 2 GT30's. It goes back to how much boost/HP you want. A GT4082 would work fine at say 5-7 psi but if you wanted to run 14 psi, maybe a GT4088, More than 15-18 psi maybe a GT4294. 22 psi GT4202. GT45's are large framed and don't use a T4 flange. I don't think GT42's do either but can be had with them.