HybridZ

Thinking of dropping in a QR25DE =)

PSi

being a nissan tech i will tell you we have one in for a headgasket at least once a week and we are a smallish dealership. crank sensors suck. throttle chambers aren't the greatest, if you keep the factory front cat. setup expect it to eventually revert a "dust" back into the engine and eat rings, mainly on 02-03 models, expect a headgasket every 60Kish. some will have better luck, but most won't. sorry, this is just my 5 day a week experience with this motor.

Yet ANOTHER QR25-based recall:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21938658/

- Greg -

This reminds me of the Acura TL cam angle sensors. Apparently they're attached to the head with epoxy... and if your headgasket goes as a result of engine overheating, you melt the epoxy and you can't get them back on in the same place easily... better off getting another engine.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also work for Nissan and we see so many headgaskets, throttle chambers, crank sensors, fuel pumps, and cats go bad. We also see the powervalve screws come apart and take the motor out. But the worst thing about that motor, is that we see a lot of oil consumption. A couple of years they were produced with bad piston rings and they burnt oil. They have a recall to test the crank case pressure, to determine if the motor needs to be replaced. Since then they have worked out that problem on the new qr25's. I have seen at least 5 Altimas throw rods out the block due to oil loss. I honestly hate that motor.

Yes, I agree, it is not the greatest motor. I will say that it moves a fairly heavy Altima around very well, and gets great mileage. I will also say that they make a lot of interesting noises (at least my Wife's did). She traded it in for a new Jetta with the 2.5L I5. That is a motor to really hate. It might be reliable, but it always sounds like it is missing on a cylinder, and it is very noisy. The VW 2.5L I4 is a much better engine (sorry for the off topic).

• 2 weeks later...

yes it is a very noisy motor. The injectors are also very noisy on the qr25. The only good thing about the motor is that It is pretty good on leaks. They don't tend to leak that much. I have seen a couple of torque converter seals leak and a couple of front covers leak with high mileage, but thats it.