HybridZ

Street Suspension on 1k budget

So I have been searching up and down the forums looking at suspension because my passenger rear strut is toast. The car is a semi daily driven street car that wont ever see time at a road course.

As I read through all the write ups, stickys and reviews it seems that options range from 3k preassembled setuips to 1600 arizona z car DIYs... but my question is--- is there a reilable street suspension setup that can be used that is bolt on? I was looking to spend about a grand...

See my post in the other thread regarding "bolt-on".

Your best bet would be a set of 4 shocks and OEM style springs. Tokico is the most common choice and you can run either HPs or the adjustable Illuminas. Spring selection ranges from Eibach and Tokico progressives to the Arizona Z Car OEM liner springs at 185F 200R. You should be able to do springs and shocks anywhere from $375 to $575.

That will leave enough money left over for the Suspension Tehcniques anti-roll bar kit (25mm front, 19mm rear) and a complete urethane bushing kit. You'll have about 20 to 40 hours of labor to install all those parts but its something you can do at home, one end of the car at a time. A weekend can get the front done and another weekend and you'll get the rear finished.

If you need to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, and other worn out hard parts you'll probably go over your $1K budget.

I seem to recall getting my illumina inserts for about $500 for the set, plus $400 for the CG coil overs, and TTT camber plates were I think about another $400, it's a few hundred over your budget but you got a lot more for your money, downside is it's a lot of cutting and welding

The tokicos will "bolt right in" (without major cutting or welding) or will I have to section the struts?

My apologies in advance--- my previous cars were newer imports where the mods and bolt ons were lego-esk in the skill needed to put them on. Why 20-40 hours for the install? Does this have to do with the spindle issue (Still have to search some more) Or because of all the bushings.

As for the budget it was for the suspension components only. All worn parts will be replaced as I will proib completely do brakes and suspension all at once.

Is there any spring/ sleeve that allows for height adjustability? Or do the street combos only give you the preset amount...

thanks again.

-Eric

Does this have to do with the spindle issue (Still have to search some more) Or because of all the bushings.

Yes and yes. The poly bushing replacements require the removal of the press in rubber bushings which leaves a steel sleeve behind. You have to remove that steel sleeve which can be as much of a pain in the butt as pulling spindle pins. You will also have a lot of corrosion to deal with (these cars are over 30 years old) and will most likely break sometime.

Yes and yes. The poly bushing replacements require the removal of the press in rubber bushings which leaves a steel sleeve behind. You have to remove that steel sleeve which can be as much of a pain in the butt as pulling spindle pins. You will also have a lot of corrosion to deal with (these cars are over 30 years old) and will most likely break sometime.

Johnc is correct in the amount of time it takes to bo the suspension upgrade if you replace all the bushings with poly. The metal sleeves he's refering to are a pain to get out, I tried to press mine out at a machine shop (20,000lb press), ended up having to use a hack saw to cut through the sleeve, then pry them out with a big screw driver. I still have them sitting on my desk at home as a reminder of how I did it.

The springs are relatively easy but you will want a spring compressor.

I started out with the Tokico set nbesheer is talking about, even ordered them from the same guy. The springs are OK but be aware the fronts are progressive and the rears are linear. This was not what I wanted and they lowered the car more than advertised so I sold them and installed coilovers. The Tokico struts are pretty good and sufficient for street driving.

My overall experience with jdmwerks and Tokico was not the best. Tokico does not provide customer service for their products but expects you to work with the vender. Jdmwerks didn't want to refund my money after I discovered the configuration of the springs (progressive and linear) but said if I wanted to return the entire package I could but there would be a 25% restocking fee. What pissed me off the most is that no where in the advertising material does it state the spring rates or that the fronts are progressive and rears linear, I had to call Tokico and talk directly to a tech rep before I could get that info., then when I wasn't satisfied nobody wanted to make it right. Needless to say I won't be doing business with Tokico or jdmwerks in the future.

Wheelman