HybridZ

rb20 Transmission

mannyvig

Thanks for the plug. And kudos to Kenny on the tranny. You guys should really see the packing job he did on it. I have seen few, if any, people take that kind of care in shipping an item. If you still have my number Manny, give me a call and we'll see if we can work something out. I can tell you I am asking far less than these usually go for.

Brian

if you run 75w-90 or 80s-90 which it calls for and you're hard on it, you're gonna mess up your tranny.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE on a shitty sr20 @ 14psi = 240rwhp/260rwtq, i went through 3 sr trannys . twice 5th gear synchro, and one second gear tooth broke. first tranny i used what it called for. second tranny i used redline mt 90, third one i said maybe it was just no good from the gate so i used mt 90 again. then finally i went with 75w-140 synthetic, i don't think it was mobil 1 i think it was motorcraft and never had a problem again.

i just finished a ka in an s14, i went cheap with gl-4 75w-90 and if you try to shift fast it's notchy, so i said ftw i put in mobil 1 75w-140, perfect shifts.

in my rb25 making the power it's making, i've been running the same rb20 tranny with 75w-140 mobil 1, still no problems, all synchros are perfect, i beat the hell out of my car (that's why i built it), and i'm sure the daul fingered OS Geiken super single is not very nice to my itty bitty rb20 tranny, but still......no issues.

the absolute ONLY thing i can say about 75w-140 is, in the winter for about the first 3-4 miles (when my tranny's cold) it's a little notchy getting it in gear. once it gets warmed up, perfect, no problems. that's it. if you're running 75 or 80w-90 in your tranny right now, and there's no problems with your tranny right now, i'd bet you'd feel an IMMEDIATE improvement in your shifting if you put in 75w-140 synthetic gear oil. just my .02

take it ez,

Dave

all the guys i know around here that ran shockproof killed there trannies within 3 months. that's why when i was searching for the lubrication solution i was asking around and seeing what ppl had the best luck with, so i ended up going with a 75w-140 synthetic. i hear what you're saying mrfancy, i'm pretty sure when i looked up z32 and 240sx manual tranny fluid type spec in alldata, i'm pretty sure it said to use a gl4 OR gl5, i can check tomorrow to be sure. not trying to start a huge debate, it's all in what has been tested, what works and what doesn't. so from my own experience i'll forever use 75w-140 in any nissan manual trans. that's just me. no hard feelings =]

EDITED:

hey i just checked alldata for a 93 240sx and 300zx and it says GL-4, but it also says "75w-90 recommended for ambient temperatures below 104 degrees F" and it gives a chart for temperatures and viscosity's. the chart does go to 75w-140 too. i'm not sure how exactly the ratings for gear lube go, however if it's anything like other tranny fluids, you know dextron 3 supercedes dextron 2, and a system calling for dextron 2 can use dextron 3, brake fluid calls for dot 3, but dot 4 is superior as it can handle more heat.

anywho, just going off experience alone, i've never broken a nissan tranny running 75w-140, and i know for a fact you'll feel the difference if you switch to it. now i need to do something about these s-rated tires >_<

how much weight is saved with the RB20 transmission in comparison to the RB25 FS530RA transmission?

Does anyone have the gear ratios of the RB20, and are they shorter? I Tried googling for a short while here at work, and I couldn't get anything. I think since the RB30 can handle 400 hp from ZUL8R's car, it should do well on the NA-RB30, and if it's got shorter gearing I think i'll make use of them, since they're way cheaper.

Problem would be clutch/flywheel, no? Or just clutch?

Found!:

Gear Ratios

1 3.321

2 1.902

3 1.308

4 1.000

5 0.759

Reverse 3.636

No designation of whether it's a FS5W71B or C, but I think all RB20's are B's

More info:

Fluid Capacity (recommended lubricant):

FS5W71C 5-speed Transmission: 4.25 qts (API GL-4, SAE 75W-90)

Gearing:

1st-3.985

2nd-2.246

3rd-1.415

4th-1.000

5th-0.821

Reverse-3.657

Nissan recommends 90W GL-4 gear oil for this transmission. GL-5 gear oils which are required in hypoid differentials are not used in most synchromesh transmissions. The chemicals used in the GL-5 oil that provides the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half.

The chemicals used in the GL-5 oil that provides the extreme pressure protection can be corrosive to synchronizers, which are commonly made of brass or bronze. Typically, the use of a GL-5 lubricant in a synchromesh transmission will shorten the synchronizer life by one half.

Ah - that was helpful :)

Having personally disassembled several FWD SR trannies, I can say they use brass baulk rings on their synchros. Not 100% sure of the same for RB20 transmissions, but I dont think it is a stretch to assume so. Based on the GL-4 spec I think youre a gambling man if you put Mobil 1 gear oil in a RB20 transmission.

- Greg -

wewt! =]

i opted to go with the rb20 tranny for a couple reasons.

*i'm using the stock l28 driveshaft*

*my speedo works*

*i'm using the stock l28 tranny mount (i had to cut the center section and move it 1.5" then reweld it back together*

*i have the 25 tranny if i ever go 26 or if i wanna sell it i can* (it's sold now)

it was just easier for me and more cost effective to go with the 20 tranny. i'm pretty sure i have motorcraft 75w-140 in it atm, not mobil 1, not sure if that makes a huge difference but i wouldn't feel bad using mobil 1 either and i have used mobil 1 on other cars that haven't had an issue yet either. i appreciate the information from both of you really i do. and seriously i'm hard on my car as in leadfoot, not maintenence. maintenence-wise i'm the most anal person ever, i've already changed my plugs 6 times since march at least, with ngk 5690's 7$/per plug, i change my oil at the end of every month, etc etc. i'm running an OS Geiken super single 6 puck unsprung clutch & flywheel for an rb25 (so no worries on what clutch or flywheel to use), my friend is the opposite, he's running his rb25 tranny and clutch on a stock rb20 engine LOL. but anyways, again i really appreciate both of you. if i kill my tranny i will make a post to show the destruction =] speaking of which i've got 700 miles on my new bottom end (wiseco's 20 over, stock rods, acl bearings, new oe oil pump, n1 water pump) and hopefully this weekend i can get it tuned, i'm hoping to make ~480rwhp/400rwtq @ 23-24psi, but i'm going for the gusto and gonna try to max out the 30/71 LOL

30psi 530rwhp.....riiiiight, anywho, take it ez fellas, i'll let ya know how it goes, thx again

Dave =]

I hope the transmission serves you well! :D

You say that it can use the stock L28 drive-shaft too? I'm using an S14 rear sub-frame, so I'd have to see if it would still line up, but... here's to hoping that it works out! *high 5*

I'd bet there's a 20 - 50 lbs weight savings on the RB20 transmission as well. I might just opt out and go for that then, since I'm sure they're cheap as hell too :D

are the clutch and flywheel the same though? hmmm..

EDIT: looks like RB20's use the same flywheel and clutch as the RB25, seeing as the JGY parts are compatible on both transmission/engine combos. looks like RB20 transmission for me. Just saved me 600 dollars. And the worst part is... now I can't decide what to spend it on. :-)

Actually, i'll just buy the clutch and flywheel with that cash. Getting a complete transmission package for the price of a transmission that is more powerful than I really need- without clutch and flywheel is a better way of doing it the first time around in this case.

Ok most likely going to go with brians 25 trans. As far as the clutch and flywheel are concerned:

The Spec carbon-kevlar stage2+ clutch will prob be the one on order but not to sure about the flywheel. Exedy has a decent reputation and they have a semi decent al one for around $350. Not sure how much i would trust that. (We all saw the pics of a wheel goung through the hood). Anyone have a decent wheel to bolt to an rb20. Or does anyone have opinions on the matter.