HybridZ

T5 output shaft play, acceptable amount?

rags

Noise that I always attributed to being the diff moving around is really coming from the 280zxt T5 trans. We (TeamNissan, EvilC and I) found the output shaft to have a lot of lateral play (Thanks VinhZXT). Dropping the trans and opening it up shown no unusual wear but the main shaft bearing and race seem to be very sloppy allowing the main shaft to move around. When you move the output shaft side to side when the trans is assembled it makes the same exact sound that I was attributing to the diff! I know that the tail section of the trans holds the main shart bearing race in place. It seems that it isn't being held tight enough against the bearing. Could this be? How much lateral movement of the mainshaft is acceptable?

I really didn't need this with only 10 days remaining before leaving for the convention.

Joe

I just searched through my PDF repair manual and could not find the part that I remember removing and replacing in the end of the tail shaft.

There is a coated copper sleeve in the end of the tailshaft that controls the movment of the end of the shaft. When I rebuilt my T-5 the one that was in there was pretty worn but i didn't check the play amount before and after replacing that part.

If you pop the tail housing off you should be able to check this 'bearing'. That's all i can think of it being as far as shaft movment, and as long as the sound your talking about is a "CLUNK" then that should clear up as well if it's the culprit.

Holler at Kevin at TheGearBox.org he can help w/ technical questions and any parts you'll need.

Hope that helps.

• 6 years later...

Any more info on this thread? I think this sleeve/bearing might be bad on my trans. I can get movement with the DS by grabbing it right at the tailshaft. I can move it slightly with a corresponding clunk. This has probably been my vibration issue at high speed.