HybridZ

Gratuitous Photos of LED Dash Light Conversion

ktm

During my build, I swapped in a set of 280z gauges (I like the font face) and converted the lighting to LEDs. I am using 5000 mcd 40-50 degree blue LEDs. I used 6 for the tach and speedo, and 4 each for the other 3 gauges. If interested, I will prepare a short write up about the conversion.

dashlight1.JPG

dashlight2.JPG

I did not need to use resistors for the gauge pod lights as the voltage drop with the four lights in series was sufficient to power the LEDs without the resistor. I grouped the tach and speedo lights in 2 groups of 3 lights each and used a resistor on each positive leg of the lead LED in each group.

Man that looks great!! You can really see those numbers now.:-P

Okay, I have a valid question about blue lighting in gages.

As we know, blue lighting isn't good for night vision from the numerous HID lighting posts. I have a Autometer Cobalt EGT gage mounted in a gage pod that has a blue LED. The light is bright as hell at night and right in my face. I'm thinking of trying to convert to a red LED.

KTM, have you witnessed any decreased night vision when staring down at the gages for a brief second, then looking up again to the road at night?

I sure don't want to change from blue the LED if I don't have to.

Thanks (in advance), -Hugh

Hugh, I only ran with the gauges at night twice so far. I am still shaking down my car and try not to run at night. It's harder to spot the police. :)

Still, I did not notice any reduction in night vision. The reason I opted for blue as opposed to red or amber is that our gauges are lit by indirect lighting. The faces are black and the numbers and needle are painted white. Unless it was a bright red light, I was afraid that the gauges would be too 'dim' to see clearly.