HybridZ

1978 280Z with 4 speed trani??

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a 1978 280Z and it came with a 4 speed transmission. So far everything I've seen shows the 78 280Z with a 5 speed. My question is where there any 78 280Z cars made with a 4 speed or do you thing this was a replacement some time ago? Also, if I decide to change to a 5 speed, not having any experience with Datsuns. this should be an easy swap right? :-D

Thanks,

Rick

ya it is an easy swap, and no i don't think i've ever seen a four speed 280z. so it probabley was put in. you should change it if you ask me. you get betting mpg and the car is nicer to drive. pm if you need a five speed i've got one.

i have a 77 with a four speed and i had a 78 with a 4 speed...we got screwed!

really, swapping the tranny itself is only about a two hour job, if that, for those of us who have done it before... my point is that if you want to get that extra cruising milage, i would go ahead and get the fivespeed whenever you get a chance, and swap it in. Its only a matter of bellhousing bolts, remove the shifter, cross member bolts, remove the driveshaft, and drop the tranny. "Installation is the reverse of removal."

I was concerned that I might be contacted from the Haynes manual legal folks about plagiarism. :lol:

I may have left a couple of things out; my post was more of a persuasive bit than an encyclopedic, "tell you how to do it" post. Point is, its a breeze. Use a jack to raise and lower the thing, but you have to use muscles to get it lined up right. It helps to have a friend, but it IS doable by yourself (and I am a SMALL guy with very little upper body strength..) The friend just gives you added stability and help threading bolts; two people can have four bolts threaded and one or two snug (ie, enough to take the load off your hands and arms) rather quickly.