HybridZ

Photoshop Q&A Thread

gokiburix

Hi all, I did a quick search and didn't find any threads on photoshop Q&A and/or tutorial.

Garvice PMed me and asked:

Hey mate' date='

I was wondering if you could give me a quick run down, or point me to a good tutorial or something.

I have photoshop and I can overlay some of the lighter colours on my car, but when I try to do the darker colours I lose the detail/lines of the car.

How do you get the detail (i.e lines, shading, lighting) to still come through?

Cheers

Brad[/quote']

I've already responded to him, but I thought it might be useful to everyone here if I made a photoshop Q&A thread. Any other people who know photoshop can chime in and help everyone else.

So here's my answer to Garvice's question:

I'll be glad to help you out as much as I can.

First off, make your image a CMYK (instead of RGB) file.

TOP MENU, select IMAGE ->MODE -> CMYK

Now, take the original picture and use the lasso tool to select what you want. If you know how to quick mask, even better...it will save you a LOT of time.

When you finished making your selection, TOP MENU, select IMAGE -> ADJUSTMENT -> CURVES

Pull down the menu where you see CMYK.

Open CYAN. You will see a diagonal line...drag and drop the left side (upper side) of the line straight down.

Repeat the same for MAGENTA and YELLOW.

BUT LEAVE BLACK ALONE.

Hit OK and your selection on the image should look close to black and white.

(ALL WHILE YOUR SELECTION IS MADE)

Make a new layer and fill the selection with a color

and change that layer to MULTIPLY transparency

That should cover it.

I hope this helps you.

Goki

HOPE THIS HELPS EVERYONE!

::cheers::

In elements 2.0, i just select the area i want to change the colour of, then go Enhance>Adjust Color>Hue/Saturation.

Now if you want to go from a duller colour to a more vibrant colour (or vice versa), check off "colorize"

Now play with the "hue" slider bar until you get the colour you want. To change the intensity of the colour, play with the "saturation" bar.

Afterwards, adjusting "brightness/contrast" can bring back lost detail.

• 2 weeks later...
First off, make your image a CMYK (instead of RGB) file.

TOP MENU, select IMAGE ->MODE -> CMYK

not sure why you'd change from a screen-mode RGB to a print-separations CMYK colour mode.

Is there something that you can't do with RGB that you can with CMYK? because if anything, you lose the chance of modifying your image using certain filters.

Not that the custom filters in photoshop are really good anyways, but they're still useful in some cases.

I don't use CMYK...

I used to, for silkscreen color separation purposes. That was years ago... For better color quality I recommend RGB.

Garvice is losing the detail not because of the color mode but because he didn't adjust "LEVELS" among some other things.

I'm guessing, his car is light color, white, yellow, silver etc....

ERIC