HybridZ

Who is running LS1 coils on their L engine?

TravRMK

I have seen pictures of these coils on L's, and have searched. Some posts were eluding that you should be able to use an edis-6 setup (36-1 wheel, vr sensor, and module) and wire the coils in pairs to run wasted spark. How did you do this? Or, are you running something other than edis? Thanks.

• Administrators

PM z-ya. Not sure if he's actually running them on MS yet, but he's got it figured out. I believe Mobythevan has been playing with them as well.

As KTM mentioned, several of us are running them with Wolf3D. Haltech and Motec will also drive them.

I would love a Wolf V500, but the price difference between the Wolf and the megasquirt is quite large for my limited budget. If it were only a few hundred difference I would get the Wolf, but it is over a thousand dollars difference. I would also like to use the truck plugs from the 6.0 with the igniters on the coils.

Man I love the look of those coils on the L engine! I wouldn't mind running wasted spark, since each cylinder would have its own coil, and not sharing with the wasted cylinder. I believe that is the only way to run it with megasquirt, since 6 cyl is not supported in sequential. At least that is how I understand it.

You can also use the LS-1 coils as well (that is what I am using). I came up with a slightly different method of mounting the coils:

Engine31.JPG

coilmount.JPG

As you can see, you do not have to relocate the stock coolant hose.

Electrically the coils (LS-1 and truck) are very similar if not the same (per Ron and z-ya). Ron is using the truck coils and I am using the LS-1 coils. You can pick up a set of 8 LS-1 coils on Ebay for around $80. You'll also need the plugs, which can be found for around $30 to $40 for a brand new, OEM set on Ebay (they come in the coil harness).

I believe z-ya is mounting them in a different fashion as well. He was going to mount them off the valve cover, similar to the OEM GM setup.

Hear is a post to the dwell measurements I made on them:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120533

The MS will drive 2 LS1 coils in a wasted spark type arrangement. I have not actually got them installed and running on an engine yet, but electrically it should work.

I'm at the convention, and am real tired after a long track day at Daytona. So that's all for now.

I am runningLS1 coils using wasted spark on my V8 5.3 LSx engine using megasquirt. Megasquirt uses a 2222 transistor to drive a pair of LS1 coils, works great. I used dwell settings from Z-ya. You can look at the LS1 install thread for my wasted spark setup if it helps.

• 1 month later...

Can EDIS drive these directly? Run in pairs of course...

EDIT: NVM, I found it. The LSx coils are internally ignited whereas the EDIS controls this itself with more variation. The end result is requiring 'dumb' coils that don't have an ignitor built in. A lot of dodge V6's from the 90's evidently have a convenient coil pack.

The coil drivers are in the EDIS module, not in the coil pack. Yes, a circuit could be designed to allow the EDIS module to provide a 5V square wave to the LS1 coils. Is it worth it, probably not. If you have your heart set on the LS1 coils, trigger the MS directly off the VR sensor and 36-1 wheel (eliminate the EDIS module). Then drive the LS1 coils with the MS ignition outputs.

The coil drivers are in the EDIS module, not in the coil pack. Yes, a circuit could be designed to allow the EDIS module to provide a 5V square wave to the LS1 coils. Is it worth it, probably not. If you have your heart set on the LS1 coils, trigger the MS directly off the VR sensor and 36-1 wheel (eliminate the EDIS module). Then drive the LS1 coils with the MS ignition outputs.

Still doesn't allow for a trio of ignition coil pairs without tinkering. I will just get a typical 3x2 coil and move on for now. I haven't had the car running with it yet.

Still doesn't allow for a trio of ignition coil pairs without tinkering. I will just get a typical 3x2 coil and move on for now. I haven't had the car running with it yet.

Yes it does. Each ignition output from the MS can easily drive two LS1 coil inputs as per my coil charge time post (which should be stickafied). It is still wasted spark, but each cylinder get the same spark energy (unlike EDIS).