HybridZ

cooling issues with the RB

Guest vader3120

I run a Aluminum cross flow I picked up on ebay with a puller fan. All in all a real good deal and nice piece. my RB20 NEVER gets hot with this rad, in fact the only time the fan ever turn in is if Im sitting in traffic. The temp is always stable.

To make sure there was no interference with the fan housing I cut the top puly way off the crank pully. It was just extruded out from the crank anway and wasnt a part of the dampener.

Hey... I just discovered something....I had the car out today....it was great fall day and around 59F . ....... the engine never warmed up over 143F. ...(per the power FC readout). Isnt this too low? What should a RB20 run at for best performance?

Thanx!

Stuck...perhaps? I guess I better find out because it sure seems odd that the temp is so low. My NISSAN contact tells me that all current thermostats are set at 165....

I hate to think about it as its a beach to get at!

Hey anyone know whats so special about the NISMO thermostat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When the RB30 was introduced in Australia in the early 80s they were fitted to a car(GM Commodore) that had been designed for a completely different engine, problems started early on with overheating,radiator sitting to low, air locks in engine, cooked heads.

I notice in a lot of pic's of RB transplants that not many people use a recovery/expansion tank.($5 from a junkyard) If your radiator is even borderline close to level -or lower than the head, every warmup will blow out water and suck air when cool,put a tank in, at least you will get to keep the system 100% water/coolant. could cure a lot of the heat problems.