HybridZ

Cylinder Head 3D scanning Started pics inside

turbobluestreak

Hi tbs

Nice work! I have the nextengine scanner as well and I'm blown away at the quality I'm getting with my scans. I'm using it mostly on ornamental railing parts that are more organic in nature than engine parts. I may need to upgrade my computer though as it seems to take a while to do things like fuse and such. I upgraded to the pro version of the software so I can output iges surfaces to rhino and that was a big improvment.

What are you running for a computer?

Derek

The Range is about 12in and scanner is size of a shoe box. No Not CMM its a Next Engine 3D parts scanner the point cloud and automatic meshing is about 10000 times the resolution that can be taken CMM and about about a hundredth the time.

tbs

I plan to do complete CFD on the water passengers and ports. Not only will this show static flow, but we can define materials with heat transfer rates, and define fluid temperatures. By testing not only the head but the block and water pump I'm hoping to find the hot spots in the head, test different port configurations, and better under stand the heat transfer in the intake and exhaust ports. Not to mention that with the head modeled and then modified CNC porting will now be possible for the L6.

tbs

A vent tube on each cylinder would take away ANY hot spots in the head. And there are not enough of a difference in hot spots in the block to make a difference. I guess if you have alot of time on your hands and your board it makes sence, but other than that, I dont see how you can benifit. CNC porting on these heads, takes a 5 axis non positional machine. In other words BIG money, and to get one done by a shop with this kind of work, they would charge tripple or better of what a hand porter could do the work for. PLUS, you never get as good as results on small ports such as ours, when compared to a BBC, etc. A 4 axis, B rotation machine would do alot of the profiles anyways.

True 1fastz this will cost a bit of money to CNC port the head and reverse engineering these engine parts is going to take me a good amount of time. But I don’t' think money or time should stop projects that others may learn from and spark their own creativity try something different, if money and time did stop all projects you wouldn't have the KA head on your L31. Also this block isn't for finding hot spots it so clearly see the travel of the water from the pump through the block and how and where it enters the head.

tbs

No, I totally agree that time or money shouldnt stop a passion within reasoning. I am just not seeing the reasoning behind this much work. Scanning is quite a bit of work, then modeling, etc. A DOHC head to me is a BIG improovment over any L head, so there is substantial amount of reasoning. If your just doing it for water flow through the block, whats to gain? I am not dissagreeing with you, I am just trying to see the purpose.

TBS, now you're begging the question...what CFD software are you going to use?

It sounds pretty heavy duty if you can do dynamic CFD with convective heat transfer, etc. It would be really cool if it could do mass transfer / state change for the nucleate boiling that a lot of the more advanced members seem to be talk about on a regular basis.

Keep it up!! I can't wait to see the next progress update. :icon14:

• 1 year later...

Sorry no update on the scans. I moved to Dayton Ohio to finish school and WSU, so I don't have access to the 3D scanner anymore. Aside from being busy with school work I've been messing with some new port designs with Cosmos CFD I want to refine the design but last test yielded good results. If I get some time I'll post it up here on hybridz.

tbs