HybridZ

Finished that stubby exhaust

X64v

There is a reason safety inspections require solid piping all the way out the back of the car.

Sure enough there is! Midas Muffler has a big lobbying effort in states that require safety inspections!

Seriously, it's more important that the car's underside not have a bunch of holes in it than the engine have a tailpipe all the way to the rear of the car.

Running the stubby to the rockerpanel will clean up the airflow and result in less CO Intrusion possibilities than running an exhaust to the traditional rear exit point.

Unless you are sitting in traffic unmoving for extended periods, the straight dump under the car should have no interior intrusion issues. And even then, the vehicles around you will contribute a bunch to the CO level of the ambien environment.

I have a CO tag from the local Cessna Supplier (Aircraft Spruce) hanging from all my rearview mirrors ever since I bought my first Corvair and VW 30+ years ago. They don't change... but a meter? My suggestion is not to look at that meter sitting in traffic on the 5, 91, 710, 405, or 110 freeways in LA during rush hour...you WILL see it move, even if YOUR car is SHUT OFF!:confused2

Unless you are sitting in traffic unmoving for extended periods, the straight dump under the car should have no interior intrusion issues.

You use the words "should" and "probably" alot. Pretty big assumptions.

I know I could tell when my shifter boot was bad by the cold air blowing up along the shifter. But that probably shouldn't cause exhaust to swirl under the car and possibly into the cabin. Probably shouldn't, I would guess. And even if it did, I imagine you should probably most likely get sick, I should think, long before you have the possiblity of passing out.

BTW, don't take the meter suggestion literally. Although they do have audible alarms. It probably isn't a bad idea.

It goes back to having undercar integrity.

No matter what exhaust system you have on there, if you have holes in your undercarrige from lack of maintenance, corrosion, etc, you are at risk.

If you have a standard tailpipe exit, add any sort of rear hatch or light gasket seal to that list of possibilities.

By exiting at the rocker panel, you eliminate a complete set of intrusion possibilities.

There's no should or maybe about it.

Directly under the car? Doubtful anything would be coming in the rear gaskets as well, leaving undercarrige integrity as the only issue to be addressed. Unless you are stopped in traffic for extended periods...and then, your neighbors on the road will contribute to your toxic in-cab environment as much as your own exhaust will.

Safety Inspections have been proven to do absolutely nothing statistically for decreasing mechanically-related accidents.

Emissions Inspections, on the other hand have been proven to decrease pollutants measured in the controlled area.

You are better off with Vehicle Emissions Inspections than Vehicle Safety Inspections...and in this case the same could be said.