HybridZ

S30 Whos reverse grinds?

There are no sychros on the reverse gear. More than likely the clutch is not being completely disengaged. Check the operation of the clutch master and slave cylinder before dropping the tranny. Early Z’s (1970-72) have an adjustable threaded slave cylinder pushrod. Later Z’s used an auto adjusting slave cylinder.

• Administrators
I know of 2 owners that there reverse grinds and this is including mine i cant even get it to go in some times it grinds so bad its like the syncros are gone anyone else have this problem?

Capt,

Reverse does NOT have synchros.

How to keep reverse from grinding.

When shifting into reverse, be sure the car is stopped. Put he clutch ALL the way in. Then put the shifter in another gear, any gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (I think most people just use 1st, which I will use in this example). With the clutch pedal pushed all the way in, the car at a complete stop, put the transmission in 1st gear, but only for a split second as you only need to stop the input shaft from freewheeling so reverse wont grind when you select it. Now put the transmission in reverse, and it should drop right in, no grinding. If it doesn’t drop right in, i.e. feels blocked, the gears aren’t aligned correctly so just put the shifter in neutral, let up the clutch pedal, put the clutch back in and go through the same process. That is to re position the gears so it should drop into reverse.

I didn’t mention using 5th gear, though you can use it to stop the input shaft from rotating, but the later ZX trannies have reverse lock out which is bypassed by going into neutral, over towards 1-2 before going back into reverse i.e. it wont let you drop directly from 5th into reverse for obvious reasons.

Have fun,

Paul

Capt,

Reverse does NOT have synchros.

How to keep reverse from grinding.

When shifting into reverse, be sure the car is stopped. Put he clutch ALL the way in. Then put the shifter in another gear, any gear, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, (I think most people just use 1st, which I will use in this example). With the clutch pedal pushed all the way in, the car at a complete stop, put the transmission in 1st gear, but only for a split second as you only need to stop the input shaft from freewheeling so reverse wont grind when you select it. Now put the transmission in reverse, and it should drop right in, no grinding. If it doesn’t drop right in, i.e. feels blocked, the gears aren’t aligned correctly so just put the shifter in neutral, let up the clutch pedal, put the clutch back in and go through the same process. That is to re position the gears so it should drop into reverse.

I didn’t mention using 5th gear, though you can use it to stop the input shaft from rotating, but the later ZX trannies have reverse lock out which is bypassed by going into neutral, over towards 1-2 before going back into reverse i.e. it wont let you drop directly from 5th into reverse for obvious reasons.

Have fun,

Paul

PAUL U R A SAVIOR! lol i didnt know what the problem was... and the peeps i know that have the same problem was like ur syncos are out and i was like a reverse syncro? ok i only know how to swap out trannies not build them lol...

BRAAP is spot on. I learned that too eventually just by ordinary use. I always make sure im stopped when shifting into reverse, and I always go to 5th then down to reverse with the clutch in. Its the best way to do it with no grinding.