HybridZ

1978 Z issues..

1- The coolant and oil pressure gauge doesn't register anything, although the back light works, there is no fuse for this gauge, so I really am stumped here, unless it's somehow unplugged.

2- The radiator hose on the top has pressure, and is very hot, although I get no heat inside the car. ??? The guy I got the car from had the no radiator in it for a year because he replaced the water pump. Could there be a ton of air inside the motor?

3- I think someone put the wrong rear lower control arm on, one seems to be upside down.. (although they are like that in pics I look at.. why?) The car tog tracks pretty noticeably, I thought this was the issue, but if it's correct it could just be bad alignment.

4- brakes must have a ton of air in the lines, and rear shoes need to be adjusted. (weekend project) The parking brake doesn't work. And the BRAKE light is on. I guess I'll have to get it on a lift to see if its even connected.

5- Suspension is loose as hell, I guess the bushing are shot. Don't really want to replace them.. Maybe new shocks would help. I am used to driving my Subaru WRX STI and that rides hard as hell, so maybe this car isnt that bad... ooo.. yeah it is.. when you can turn the wheel left and right and while you're turning right the car is yawing left, thats pretty bad!! lol

I've installed a new batt-fuel filter, brake fluid, coolant/water. On the way is a cap and rotor, spark plugs and plug wires.. Got to make it reliable for winter so I can make it to work on time every day.

Any help on any of these 5 issues would be helpful thanks..

-edit- Also the clutch is engaging very far up in the pedal throw. The fluid level is good, and the clutch doesn't slip(when its not supposed to), is there any way I can adjust this?

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea on what you need to do to fix this stuff. As for #2, check your vacuum lines to the right side fenderwell, then to the heater controls. If they are cracked and probably are, you will not be getting vacuum to the heater valve, and no heat.

Mike

Yeah, I guess heat will only come from the heater vents under the dash, when its on the RED ARROWS.. not the blue lol.. so it has heat.

I was wondering if the Z's use cam bolts for rear A-arm alignment or perhaps my rear arm is just bent? How can I correct the toe in on the rear?