HybridZ

Wooden Motor stand... thoughts ????

JSM

That looks pretty solid but I agree with the comments to add some gussets. Just be careful when you fire that thing up.

I love your hoist by the way, very nice.:D

Yes, it's an inside joke for those wondering and no worries Jeff I don't need it back yet.

That looks pretty solid but I agree with the comments to add some gussets. Just be careful when you fire that thing up.

I love your hoist by the way, very nice.:D

Yes, it's an inside joke for those wondering and no worries Jeff I don't need it back yet.

ROFLMAO!

Thanks again! Just let me know when you need it back and I will bring it right back!

I used to have a 3-wheeled engine stand that had a Vee-Dub bellhousing attached. With a newly rebuilt engine bolted on and with a battery and coffee can gas container I could run the engine to break in a cam, then let it cool down for head torquing before installation in the car.

At first I worried about the torque from revving the 40 hp engine tipping the stand, but it proved remarkably stable.

You should be fine with that stand.

I'm thinking about making a test stand for my Buick engine out of angle iron, to run in the engine and also to mock up motor mounts.

I think that stand should work fine, as long as you don't go crazy with it. I used to start my engines, all SBCs, on the ground sitting on a set of crappy headers and a block of wood under the oil pan. It worked fine for break in or to see if a recently aquired engine was worth putting in a car, but if you hit the throttle too hard it would lift up fairly easily and flipping over could have been acheived. So after doing this for awhile and seeing no end to the need to run engines out of cars, I decided to make the propper contraption for such a deed. This is what I came up with...

camaro_071.jpg

mock up with busted block

camaro_072.jpg

camaro_077_1.jpg

The test engine

camaro_078.jpg

I made mine around the SBC, but it is adjustable to a certain extent. I built it so the mounts change out with one bolt, so if you wanted to put say a small block ford on it you would just need to fab up different mounts to pop in the stand. The rear mount can even be addapted. All the sliding peices have two pinch bolts to hold it steady. I added the wheels for ease of movement and because I wanted to be able to store it. I wondered if it was going to roll or move around with an engine running, but it didn't move at all. As it sits here it's not quite done, I plan on adding a radiator, and a control panel with guages. This only took me two days to design and build and it's only about $80 worth of materials. Just thought I would show you what can be done rather easilly and cheaply, it was fun too.

Here's a vid --- - - - - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEEeNS5VRbo