HybridZ

New personal best 1/4 mile time

jgkurz

Awesome job John. That time is something to be proud of!!

Thanks again for the invite...it was great to be able to see your car up close and talk z's for a few hours with everyone. I thought your 12.0 run was the last of the day, otherwise I wouldn't have left early.

What PSI was this pass made at?

It was hard to look at the gauge but I believe it was at about 23psi. I'm kicking myself for not datalogging..:bonk:

Awesome job John. That time is something to be proud of!!

Thanks again for the invite...it was great to be able to see your car up close and talk z's for a few hours with everyone. I thought your 12.0 run was the last of the day, otherwise I wouldn't have left early.

Thanks for coming out! It just took me a few runs to get the car sorted out. Also I learned that the sintered-iron clutch doesn't provide the necessary grip until it's fully heated up.

Very nice. After seeing your parts list on your site, a 400HP L-Series is quite pricey!

Thanks. A high HP L28 is not that difficult to achieve it's keeping it together that's the hard part. :-)

My car could have been done a lot cheaper if I knew then what I know now. Isn't that always the case though....

Thanks. A high HP L28 is not that difficult to achieve it's keeping it together that's the hard part. :-)

My car could have been done a lot cheaper if I knew then what I know now. Isn't that always the case though....

Can you share with what you would have done differently. I've come up with the 400HP as my goal, but again this depends on cost. I may settle with less.

My first Purchase was a bone stock rusted 82 280zxt for the motor ($510). My second was a used Electromotive TEC 3 ($610).

Can you share with what you would have done differently. I've come up with the 400HP as my goal, but again this depends on cost. I may settle with less.

My first Purchase was a bone stock rusted 82 280zxt for the motor ($510). My second was a used Electromotive TEC 3 ($610).

Here's a brief list.... Keep in mind this list is NOT what I would have done if I had a bigger budget.

1) I would have went with a 60-1 turbo right off the bat. It's an inexpensive turbo that makes a ton of power in a small package.

2) I should have went to an external wastegate right away by welding up a port to OEM exhaust manifold. The internal wastegate just isn't meant to handle big HP. It's more complicated than just the size of the WG port.

3) I should have gone to full 3" downpipe instead of the 2.5" I used for years. Do whatever you can to improve the air flow in and out of the engine. Sometimes this can be done very inexpensively.

4) I should have spent more time on the cylinder head by unshrouding the valves and cleaning up the bowls and ports.

5) The LD28 crank is nice and gives me another 200cc but the expense wasn't necessary to make the power I wanted. A bored L28 will be MUCH cheaper and will make nearly the same power.

6) My Isky cam is another nice option but again, I now think I could have made my power goal with a stock turbo cam. I think the gain was minimal.

BTW, Now that my exhaust is flowing to potential I believe my HP is now limited by the smaller turbo I'm running and the injector size. Unfortunately there's always going to be a weak link somewhere.

I believe my HP is now limited by the smaller turbo I'm running and the injector size. Unfortunately there's always going to be a weak link somewhere.

Just pulled my Delphi 75# injs if you are interested. Getting ready to see what I can get on e-Bay. PM me if you are interested.

BTW, are you sure about the 1/8-mile MPH? Sure you do not mean 98.7?

Just pulled my Delphi 75# injs if you are interested. Getting ready to see what I can get on e-Bay. PM me if you are interested.

BTW, are you sure about the 1/8-mile MPH? Sure you do not mean 98.7?

Nice catch. I must have left the previous info in the cell. :windows:. It's corrected and now matches my time slip.

I'd be interested in the injectors but I don't think they'd fit my rail. Mine are the 11mm o-ring DSM style. Are yours similar?

Here's a link: http://www.rceng.com/Peak-Hold-Injector-PL9-0550-P17C5.aspx

Just now saw this John. Congrats! Its about time you got that thing sorted out!

I guess I better get to work huh? Again, congrats I know how stoked you must be.

Thanks but don't worry. You'll have me beat for a long time. Next season I plan on doing little to no drag racing and more track days and auto-crossing. Ironically that's what I built the car for.

How rude! :D

To get it into the 10's I would need slicks and 50 to 75 more HP. Even then I'm sure I'd end up breaking something. I'll be back to the track but not to hit the 10's. My problem now is I now need a driveline loop and a roll bar since I went past 11.49.

• 4 weeks later...
John - I can't believe I missed this thread - I must be working too hard...

Congrats on the great time and MPH. Nice RT BTW.

Do you have a link for your calculator somewhere?

Cheers

Doug

Thanks Doug. It was the "perfect pass" as Scottie-GNZ would say.

Take a look at post#7 by in the following thread. It's Scottie's spreadsheet calculator that I used.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=814356#post814356