HybridZ

L28ET->280Z: shifter required tunnel trimming?

highly

First of all, Hi! I'm new to the board and have been lurking around for quite awhile reading and learning. I recently acquired my first Franken-Zcar and have a question that searching hasn't clearly answered. First the car as aquired:

1977 280Z

1983 L28ET - originally from an auto with auto ECU

1980 (or so I am told) N/A 5-speed - still trying to verify that one.

Original R200 rear end, not LSD

I have done a lot of reading and searching on this swap and had not seen it mentioned, but the shifter does not fit in the factory location. It is clear that the console and transmission tunnel was cut forward to allow space for the shifter. Is this a result of the particular parts used? Which transmission and driveshaft combination would relocate the shifter rearward to its original position?

Your knowledge and experience is appreciated!

Hmm. I guess that's possible and had not occurred to me, though the shifter does seem rather far forward for my 5'9" height. Does the Auto chassis have the hole precut for the clutch master? Is there a VIN decoder somewhere so that I can determine if this chassis was originally auto-equipped?

*** I see the VIN does not include this info. Phooey***

well i know that when i put a 5 speed out of an '81 zx in my '75, i had to use the old shifter, cause the zx one apparently had some little difference, but was too far forward, and was bumping into the console when shifting into 1st, 3rd, 5th.

although, i do remember something about it being a short throw now....

Your shifter lever is either in backwards, or you are using the ZX one...

use the original 4 speed shifter, and it will move back to the center of the shifter hole.

Or take the straight shifter you have, and heat it with a torch and bend it so it resembles the 4 speed shifter you removed.

The later ZX trannies have a shifter lever that has a radically different bend to it than the earlier cars. You either need the earlier lever installed, or to bend the later shifter lever so it fits correctly.

It's exactly what Globerunner said. It's the shifter bends, not the placement of the tranny. The levers are different. Someone just used the later shifter lever in an early car. Bend it, no biggie.

Excellent! That's exactly the information I was looking for. Since I did none of the hybridization on this car, it is impossible for me to tell what year of which part actually got used, but I am glad the pictures helped. All I knew is that it was a bit of a stretch for 1/3/5 from a normal seating position. I'll re-profile the shifter with a little percussive love and see how that works.