HybridZ

stock internals + turbo = ?

itsaprothing

I've been wanting more hp and the simplest way I could find and was suggested by many was a turbo. I'm not the expert at all with engines or anything but I have been discussing this with other hybridz members and the autoshop teachers at my school.

(option 1)

Although I really want a turbo, I can't afford a whole new turbo engine to put one on, BUT i have heard that people just get the exhaust and intake manifolds and run the turbo on the L28E. I know the compression rates are different between the L28E and ET but I was told that the engine will do fine, I just can't use all that much boost.

*zxman69 posted in the s130 roll call that he is running a turbo with stock internals and an emerald ecu (page 7)

(option 2)

Another option I was given was an engine rebuild to change the compression rates on my engine. Which is cheaper than getting another engine, and more realistic with my current budget.

(option 3)

I was also told I could run an intercooler which would in turn decrease the volume of air going in the engine to avoid pinging, but just how big of an intercooler do I need?

I am currently really looking into option 1 but I'm not quite sure what parts I need to make it happen, so far I know I need

-turbo exhaust manifold

-turbo intake manifold

-turbo t3/t04e

-turbo ecu

-turbo fuel injectors

-turbo fuel pump

I know i'm missing more stuff but that's why i'm asking for help. Any other suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot guys!

Considering I've seen people buy RUNNING turbo cars for cheaper then a motor, and have seen people part out engines and make a lot of money off them, I can't see why you can't afford the engine but can all the components.

Just search around, if you can be patient you'll find something.

And if you're thinking about modifying (what I gathered from the t3/t04e), I recommend not to bother with the stock ecu, fuel pump, and injectors.

Search on this as it's been HEAVILY discussed...

Mario

Well I can afford one from like a junk yard, but I'm trying to avoid wasting money on a crappy engine and having to pay for a rebuild.

The engines I've found are from japan, those remanufactured ones, and they're really just expensive.

Intake manifold and exhaust manifold go on ebay for about 100 bucks, then I'd need to get a turbo which I could also probably get off of ebay. and you said not to bother with ecu, fuel pump, or spark plugs

To me that looks cheaper, does it not?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125970

And whats wrong with a jy moter if it runs fine? Just rebuild it later. A turbo parts car would foe sure be the way to go. I found mine for 350$ It had 152 XXX kms on it and runs and drives fine. Only problem is the body is hoplessly rusty.

As well, i'm using my NA short block, with all the other turbo goodies, plus a z31 ecu and intercooler for better response. Yes the n/a pistons aren't quite as strong as the turbo ones, but they should do for my power goals. A good tune is also important in building a reliable engine, which is why i'm going with the z31 ecu. Luckily i live in the same city as bernard on here, who is the nissan ecu wizard.

As for your parts list, you'll need the turbo ecu harness, turbo afm, and it would be a good idea to keep your eyes out for a 240mm flywheel from a 280zx turbo or 2+2.