HybridZ

HELP! Fuel, Spark, AIR...but no Start???

ok, so here's everything i know.

last night it was raining heavy. I see big puddle...i think "fun!".

I get home. do whatever....get back in my car after about 30 mins....crank, crank crank...no start

buddy comes over

check for spark....we have spark

Fuel...well we can't hear the fuel pump, and can't smell fuel out the tailpipe...so we say its the fuel pump.

I take fuel pump out. test with battery....fuel pump works.

I look through haynes manual for all electrical points having to do with fuel pump. All good. (look that way anyway)

Try hooking fuel pump back up...still nothing.

hard-wire fuel pump to battery w/ a switch...fuel pump works

install fuel pump.

Check a fuel line to see if i have pressure....have pressure.

crank...crank...crank...crank....no start.

Been trying for the past 30 mins. :hs:

any one have any ideas?

as far as i know, our injection system "batch" fires, meaning all of them at the same time. so they pulse constantly. they aren't synchronous which i think is what you might be thinking.

i'm having the same problem, but i think mine is because the plugs are fuel fouled.

here's one. have you checked the water temp sensor? if water gets in that plug, it'll short out the circuit and the car won't start (but i think it won't start because of fuel) wouldn't hurt to check all your wires though to make sure they're all dry. and i mean every single last one you can find.

well today i took my air hose out and blew off all the connections i could find...i took out what im pretty sure is the TPS and dried/cleaned it off (it was already dry...)

i shot some air through the intake just for kicks too. who knows.

i can still smell fuel out the tailpipe. And i took my filter off so my intake has nothing blocking it.

still just cranks and cranks with not even so much as a putter.

Is there a way to use starter fluid on a fuel injected engine??

• 6 months later...

Your problem as well as the story that follows is the exact same as mine, and as yet to be solved.

I noticed the same component in mine (The one circled in red) to be faulty as well. It's called a fusible link, and it looks like a peice of wire with two blade connectors at the end you're gonna need to get what's called "Fusible Link Wire" (Don't, Don't, Don't use regular wire!!) in 14awg as well as two of the crimp on terminals to fix this. Just cut about 2.5 inches of this stuff and attach the two connectors to either end. This however did not help my starting either. :(

In my case, the wire was all frayed and the insulation melted.

What I normally do to check for fuel is simple: crank the engine, turn it off unscrew any of the plugs and sniff the end of the plug or the hole. The smell or lack thereof will give you the answer you need.

I too had eventually lost spark, and am replacing the pickup coil in the distributor. My plugs, wires, cap, rotor, IC, injectors, pump and coil are all new. Was the shaft for your rotor rusty..?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just found this thread after a long time, and I never did post a solution.

In truth, I don't really remember what finally did it. I just cleaned/dried everything. I believe I needed to change the fusible link wires, but I can't say for certain that is what solved the issue.

The car hasn't had this issue since then. If others have this same issue and actually know what it was that fixed it, please enlighten us for future members looking for a solution.