HybridZ

Fitness equipment - can i adapt something else for the same purpose?

rustrocket

I recently stumbled upon a product called the Optum S.P.S . it's basically a rope/pulley system that, with the turn of a knob, adjusts in resistance from 4 lbs up to 1000. I'm thinking there has to be some sort of system similar in both size and function, but designed for different fields? Anybody have a suggestion?

Their website is http://www.optumsps.com

These are the only decent pictures i can find...

10095.jpg

10095_big.jpg

setupimg1.jpg

Actually, no, i didnt. I figured there were people on here with a multitude of interests/hobbies and engineering backgrounds that might be able to lend some advice about a similar system to serve the same purpose.

If people can post threads about their guns, women troubles, financial advice, etc, i figured it was worth a shot.

I thought this forum was for newbies to post. Your examples

If people can post threads about their guns, women troubles, financial advice, etc i figured it was worth a shot
are normally posted in the Non Tech Forum not in New Members Forum.

Anyways, I am not the posting police I just thought I'd lend a hand.

Good luck,

Guest Crispy Chicken

The only way that thing could be any good is if it gives constant resistance. All the people that are really into this sort of thing use the type of sled I got. .. I could talk about this stuff for pages. I use my sled for about 20 different things. Ballistic speed and power movements, anaerobic endurance, speed endurance and strength endurance. Cable attachments for pulling movements and pressing. Lower back spinal erectors hamstring recovery. People use them mostly for recovery. Doing the concentric portion of the movement "against gravity," with out the eccentric portion of the lift "using gravity." Which can be 2-3x harder than concentric movements tearing you down. You can produce huge blood flow in an area without tearing the muscle down. Like when doing a normal compound movement. Bench squat deadlift press etc. Good Luck!!

Derek

i bought this sled a few years back

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=305&pid=8

with this draft horse pulling harness

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/products.asp?dept=20

Geez, i didnt even notice i posted in the wrong forum (i'm guessing it was moved into here?)...You'd think i'd know better after being around here for a couple years.

Anyhow...There' is absolutely nothing wrong with the optum sps, except it's cost, $250. I'm looking to do the same pulling movements with it, but i figured there might be something cheaper. The system reminds me of the adjustable drag on a fishing reel...

Crispy - Sent you a pm.

And yes, $173 seems a bit pricey for that sled unit. However, the nice thing about the OPTUM is that i wouldn't have to carry around a bunch of weights to create 1000 lbs of resistance...