HybridZ

How do you mount a rear spoiler?

PETEW

Hey guys,

I tried doing a search to see if anyone gave a good description on how to mount a rear spoiler, but came up empty. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice. The wing manufacturer I have is unknown, but I don't like the way it is mounted. It is just screwed into through the top of the wing into the car. I can't believe this is the correct way to mount it to the car. Here is a pic of the car with the wing (sorry for the quality of the pic, but it is the only one I have). Is there another (better) way to mount the wing. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Pete

280z_back_thumb.jpg

fhptom's method is probably the intended method (unless bonding - which I don't recommend - was the intended method when this piece was originally designed and made. If you're going to remount this, I'd drill several guide holes in the bottom surface (assuming it has a bottom surface on this piece) to see how thick the material is. This way you can determine if there is sufficient material to support threads for attaching the piece from the bottom side. If the piece is fiberglass, you're in great shape because, with some work, you could reinforce the bottom surface to make it thicker if it were too thin to support any thread depth.

:cool: Just got done putting mine on. We used a mixture of screws and glue to mount it to the body. We used screws to get it all setup and in the proper location. After that we used fusion glue to bond it to the body and added the screws (both top and bottom of spoiler), to hold it in place. After that we start with long strand fiberglass to fill in the lip of the spoiler. Next we used the short strand fiberglass and finished with bondo. I think it came out real nice. Good luck with it, Rich. Can post pictures if needed.

Pete, I have the same rear spoiler on my car. I installed it around 1980.

A question first, did the outer wing pieces come with short studs where it would attach to the cars finder, if it did then you would drill a hole in the finder and use a nut to attach from the inside of the finder. This will be very hard to get to because the area is above the tail lights and a very cramped space. I then used SS screws for the two holes in the side of the car. I did not at any time use bondo or glue to attach the parts.

For the long spoiler piece there were studs in the piece and I also used the SS screws on the center around where the hatch thumb button is.

I eventually had the spoiler painted the same color as the car.

Pete, I have the same rear spoiler on my car. I installed it around 1980.

A question first, did the outer wing pieces come with short studs where it would attach to the cars finder, if it did then you would drill a hole in the finder and use a nut to attach from the inside of the finder. This will be very hard to get to because the area is above the tail lights and a very cramped space. I then used SS screws for the two holes in the side of the car. I did not at any time use bondo or glue to attach the parts.

For the long spoiler piece there were studs in the piece and I also used the SS screws on the center around where the hatch thumb button is.

I eventually had the spoiler painted the same color as the car.

Actually you have a different spoiler if you look closely. I have one of your type sitting around and it has studs and recessed holes to mount. The OP's doesn't. My guess is it was one of those spoilers that was made for another car or someone hillbillied it in.

Mgood, Our spoilers look very similar. I am not sure they are the same, though. I will take some pics of the wing now that it is off. There were no studs in the end pieces, though (at least not that I remember). Whoever mounted this thing was not thinking long term. There is rust around the holes were it was screwed in. Luckily it seems to be only minor surface rust. What a pain. More crap for me to fix. Good thing I am buying a welder. I should have pictures up tomorrow. Thanks for the help, guys.

Sorry it took so long, but here are some better pics so you can see how it was mounted. It looks like it is solid on the bottom so I will mount it that way. How do you do the ends, though? Do I use a glue to help keep it down? What type? How should I fix the holes in the fiberglass spoiler? Do I just use bondo, fiberglass reinforced bondo, or should I stuff it with fiberglass mat and resin? I am new to bodywork but trying to learn and do a good job at the same time. Thanks for the help.

IMG_8506_thumb.JPG

IMG_8509_thumb.JPG