HybridZ

Interesting driveshaft idea...possible solution?

JDM RICE

Ok, so I pulled my R33 drive shaft out of the motorset of my RB25DET and set it next to my 78 automatic and it looks like I could just unbolt the front portion of the R33 drive shaft and the lengths are nearly identical within +/- 1 inch. The flange looks to be the same as the bottom portion that goes to the rear diff.

this is just a theoretical idea, but it looks like I could just bolt it all in with the exception of the long nose diff flange which I think can be worked out.

I will take pictures when I get a change to show you guys what I mean, but it looks like it just MIGHT work

anyone encounter this yet?

Well if you read thru the So you wanna swap bla bla bla you will notice that if you mount the rb series motor using the z31 rb mounts (available from Japan) that the driveshaft will bolt right up. Only thing you have to do is swap the diff flange.

If you are doing the swap and you have not read thru all the stickies in the forum you need to, there is alot of good info and rumors that are confirmed and debunked!!!!!

Well if you read thru the So you wanna swap bla bla bla you will notice that if you mount the rb series motor using the z31 rb mounts (available from Japan) that the driveshaft will bolt right up. Only thing you have to do is swap the diff flange.

If you are doing the swap and you have not read thru all the stickies in the forum you need to, there is alot of good info and rumors that are confirmed and debunked!!!!!

trust me i've read them tons of times! I'm gonna try a few different mount setups to see what best fits my setup, but this is one of them.

anyways, since we're already talking about it, is there a STICKY on how to swap the diff flange or is it something that has to be taken to a shop?

glad to see you join us over here at hybridz, 502 street scene is probably the stupidest forum out there...

Been a member here since 2000

came across 502 by acccident. A guy at work here is from that area and told me about the site and that my car was being mentioned

Been a member here since 2000

came across 502 by acccident. A guy at work here is from that area and told me about the site and that my car was being mentioned

yeah im 240nerd over on that forum and rarely get on there, really only when i'm trying to get rid of the tons of datsun parts i got. it's ridiculously immature, everybody on that forum thinks they have the fastest or the baddest looking car in the world, which isn't bad but their attitudes outweigh the satisfaction of even being a member

• 2 weeks later...
My R34 RB25DET driveshaft + Infinity mounts was the perfect length after I changed the rear flange to the one that matches an R200, I have about 3/10ths of play in the driveshaft.

what all did you have to do about changing the rear flange? I havn't looked into it quite yet

To change the rear flange I used a "heavy duty" 71 240z yoke, it was like $8 from Kragen. I had to bore out the holes on the drive shaft side to fit the 240z yoke ends and shave the tabs on the drive shaft a bit to fit the c-clips in all the way. The c-clips are mounted on the inside of the yoke.

A drive shaft shop would probably have a better way to do this.

To change the rear flange I used a "heavy duty" 71 240z yoke, it was like $8 from Kragen. I had to bore out the holes on the drive shaft side to fit the 240z yoke ends and shave the tabs on the drive shaft a bit to fit the c-clips in all the way. The c-clips are mounted on the inside of the yoke.

A drive shaft shop would probably have a better way to do this.

do you have any pictures of this?

• 1 month later...

well i finally found some free time, and took a look at the driveshafts...

so how exactly did you remove the u joints from the driveshaft? I don't see any clips or snaprings or anything of that sort. It looks like a cap or something possibly

any help would be appreciated!