HybridZ

TH400 with GM or Toyota Bellhousing?

JustinOlson

I'm looking to do a TH400 setup in my car real soon. I'm wondering if there is a preference/advantage to running a Toyota bellhousing on a TH400 vs the standard GM be bellhousing?

I realize that you have to run a smaller hybrid converter when using the toyota bellhousing. Is this a disadvantage? Do the smaller torque converters have more trouble with heat?

My main worry is the size of the GM bellhousing fitting the transmission tunnel with the 2JZ mounted back to the firewall.

I have the option of going with a Boostwerks adapter:

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1467

Or a Virtual Works toyota bellhousing adapter for the Th400.

I already have a GM TH400 and a toyota auto, so its no real difference to me parts wise.

Regards,

Justin

While the ATI kit is about $35 cheaper than the Boostwerx, it states you have to use their 9" converter which lists for almost $1000. I am using a Precision Vigilante that cost $640. Not pushing anyone towards the Boostwerx but I did all the reasearch and decided on the Boostwerx.

So how do I choose a proper stall speed for the converter? I'm planning on using nitrous to flash the converter at the track.

The general setup I'm going for:

Stock 2JZGE

272 cams

Custom Intake manifold like Virtual Works

Divided t4 turbine manifold like full-race's

GT4202 1.15 a/r

4" downpipe w/ 4" muffler out the passenger fender

24*12*3 intercooler

Regards,

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Justin I am in the same boat as you I have a TH400 that is being rebuilt for my 2JZ right now. I also have the stock 2JZ auto tranny. What exactly is needed to get the TH400 to bolt up? I know there are two options but neither really make sense on how to get it to bolt up. Do I need the ross machining adapter plate and then the custom converter or will a normal TH400 converter work? What about the flex plate which one is used?

I use the Toyota bellhousing. I too would wonder about clearance issues with the TH400 bell in the Z tunnel with the engine back on the firewall. I know it would not fit in mine. I barely have room for the Toyota housing.

Regarding the stall. With the GT42, you'll need a little spray to spool the turbo, unless you go with an unstreetable stall converter. Scottie and I both run 4200 stalls. I am satisfied with mine, and I run a Precision 76-GTS (same size wheels as a GT4202, but a different turbine housing). I do spray to spool the turbo, as does Scottie...

Regards, Mike

Why is the boostwerx kit so much if all that you need is the adapter plate?

Can you just use the Ross machining one?

The boostwerx kit allows you to use an unmodified TH400 and standard GM converter. That means you do not have to cut the tranny bellhousing or use any hybrid stuff. There's more to these things than just the adaptor and in the end, the hybrid method could end up being more expensive. Of course, if there is a clearance problem then I guess there is little choice.

I got mine for DaveH at boostwerx. Great guy to deal with he will answer any questions that you have. His whole kit for 2jz was $750 and as Scotty mentioned you can use any gm torque convertor none of that $900 hybrid bs! Not that there is something wrong but I just like to keep my options open with torque convertors.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Boostwerx to check the 'kit' out and it wasn't listed, that I could see at least. What exactly is included in the kit?

Assuming I have the 2JZ, TH400 and convertor of choice.... where does the boostwerx kit come in? adapter....? $750 seems high, so I have to assume there's more to this kit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...