HybridZ

oil leak on new crate motor (350)front main

Guest mesner2

Guest mesner2

hi, I need a little help trying to understand why the front main seal on my new motor keeps blowing . I bought a high volume oil pump we put in before we installed it .Thinking 25% more flow cool!NOT! this has been a nightmare .3 front seals and another timing cover not the shiny new chrome one 1st and now stock .we can't even go up the mountain without it pour out.Please does someone have any advice on how to stop it without having to change the pump out? thanks, christi

Guest mesner2

need a little help.brand new crate motor 350chevy,we keep blowing the front main seal .we put a high volume oil pump on before we installed it in a van, not fun. we have already replace the new chrome timing cover and seal ,now have stock cover and the oil keeps coming! new seal ,cover and it keeps a leakin.Help !!!!!!! christi:hs:

Since there is no front main bearing seal, I'm assuming you mean the front timing cover to pan seal. Note that there are two different thicknesses of rubber seals that can go in there. A thick one and a thinner one. You probably have the thin one in there and need the thick one. That is assuming you have the two piece rear main early style block.

Do you have a PCV system hooked up? Sounds like your crankcase is building up pressure and blowing the seal out. That would be my guess. The easy thing to do would be to put a breather in one of the valve covers and see if the seal stays in.

Guy

Guest mesner2

thank you dr hunt,i needed some more avenues to travel to thanks,but now i have a problem .....i have called everyone to try and find this thicker timing cover seal and everyone has told me the same thing WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WE NEVER HEARD OF THIS .auto parts store, all,speed shops in town in colorado springs,Co. they all tell me they don't make that for a 82 chevy 350???? i'm back a the point i was yesterday TOTALLY CONFUSED AND FRUSTRATED again please help direct me to where i might find it thank for all your help,christi

Guest mesner2

thank you for your input i already pvc valve installed .brand new. i checked it,i think it might be another problem with the timing cover seal ,have you ever heard of a oil slinger for a 82 chevy 350? christi

Fords usually have an oil slinger, not a small block 350 chevy.

John

ps. Make sure timing cover is not pressed out, where you over tighten it.

thank you for your input i already pvc valve installed .brand new. i checked it,i think it might be another problem with the timing cover seal ,have you ever heard of a oil slinger for a 82 chevy 350? christi

Guest mesner2

thank you john but it's not the oil pan gaskets i need it's a thicker timing cover seal.any more ideas? i have to go to work tommorrow night.i need it running by then thanks,christi

Guest mesner2

ya i found that out,but....the chiltons manuel has it for chevys [chiltons gm full size van book #28640 PAGE#3-62 FIGURE#136 GAS V8 ENGINES] NOW WHY WOULD THEY TELL ME IT'S ON THE MOTOR WHEN NO ONE HAS HEARD OF IT?