HybridZ

how important is a non-cracked dash?

Guest jcarter

Guest jcarter

how high on your list is a dash with no cracks? all other things being fairly equal, would you pick a car with a solid dash over a car with a running motor? solid dash over rusted floor pans? just where on the list does the dash come in? if it hasnt cracked by now are the chances good that it wont in the future?

The dash is easily covered with a dash cap, costs about $100. If the car has much rust, it's really not worth messing with. You'll find more and more rust the more you try to clean it up. I bought a 75 280z with 250k miles on the original engine, it was still running ok but definitely was in need of a rebuild. The best restoration candidate is a rust free, complete car. This will give you a solid foundation to start with. You probably won't find a car with a dash that isn't cracked. Most that I see on ebay that claim to have a perfect dash actually have a dash cap. I have seen NOS dashes in the $1000 price range.

When I bought my car, it was 99% rust free. It had a cracked dash with a nice full cover on it. It looked fine. I eventually found an NOS dash still in the box and replaced it. Now that it is in, I am happy that I have it but I could be just as happy with a full dash cover.

Go rust free first. Rust is very expensive to fix. And you never seem to get it all the first time. Unless you are like "mull".

Good Luck!