HybridZ

strut spacer

so i need a lil more clearance between my tires and the fenders(early 74 260Z), and instead of installing a coilover setup(cause im cheap lol, and i need the money for the fuel system), i can make a spacer(1" aluminium) that will install above the rubber isolator that sits atop the strut (in the rear)... my question is does anyone forsee a problem w/ this regarding the suspension??? essentially im just pushing the whole strut assembly down an inch...

thanks

ryan~

oh, well i didnt know that, but i also have brand new isolators... that and i can design the spacer and get it made for nuttin but my time... i was just curious if there was much in the way of linial strains put on the isolator, and if i would creat an issue w/ the spacer... i dont know much in regards to suspension design...

• 2 weeks later...

finaly went and got a photobucket accnt. here is the finished strut spacers... i needed to counterbore the isolator holes a bit deeper, you'll notice that only about 2/3 of the isolator nuts are holding the isolator in... it was a bit of a hindsight deal, but at the shop im working at i needed it back onthe ground that day, so some locktite and thats the way they went in... least till i ever get bak to the rear suspension :P

cheers

ryan~

Z2.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z3.jpg

Those are amazing. Looks like good craftsmanship. I don't think the isolators experience anything but compression when the cars on the ground and a little tension when it's on jackstands, so your units should work as long as they fit well.

These look like the prefect solution to adding some ride hight to those cars which have maxed out the coilover sleeve and still want to go a little higher, or whose lowering springs make it difficult on around-town journeys.

ya, they came out better than i would hav hoped, to bad u cant see them after they hav been installed, lol... it was easier designing them than machining, luckly i hav a couple of friends in the buisness so i gave them my bluprints.. i was a lil concerned w/the OD of the spacer, but after trial fitting it, i had room to spare...

the only catch to mabe others is that the minimum thickness would 3/4" due to the length of the isolator studs... of course, one could always shorten the isolator studs, but then there would be a marginal gain... these were done at 1", i figure i need at least that much to keep mytires from rubbing the flare...

cheers

Guest 280ZForce

sweetride2go.... PM sent your way last night, I'm thinking you could help me out w/ some wheel spacers if possible. Or hit me up on AIM - s30zforce.

Thanks - J

• 3 weeks later...

heres my Z w/ 295's on it, i had a lot of rubbin goin on... also an old pic, and obviously no strutspacers...

Z1.jpg

heres a look of the gain w/ the strutspacer installed, of course this pic was of the new SS fuelline... tire size is now 265, and there is no rear end, no gas tank... and im running the red springs from Arizona Z Car that fit in the factory spring perches...

fuelline2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How ironic...I did the exact same thing to my ZX about 2 years ago, after installing the Tokico Advanced Handling package...(blue struts with red springs). I didn't like how low the car sat in the back after the install, so I made some spacers almost identical to those. It worked out well, and now the car sits with a nice little rake to it's stance. Alignment was easy but then again, I do have both camber and caster adjusters in the lower control arms.

sez1.jpg

Warren