HybridZ

which turbo? want to get best bang for the buck

LeX

I've researched around and seen lots of guys doing different sized turbos for their projects (i've searched a good amount)

I am interested in getting as close to 320-340whp on my setup without having too much lag.

Mods will be , 440c injectors FMIC engine management 3" full exhaust and the turbo. running on a 78 280z motor, with 8.3:1 compression on factory dished pistons (N/A motor) its a freshly rebuilt motor.

I found some turbos on ebay and wondering which of these should give me a good balance of decent response and chest breaking power (to an extent :icon10:)

first one is a T3/60-1 .70AR compressor .63AR turbine, .57T compressor wheel. Seems like a good bet for solid power and good response.

second one is a T70 .70AR compressor .84AR turbine, .60T compressor wheel. Seems a bit big, but could have some nice power. A bit big ya think?

the third one is interesting, another T70 .70AR compressor .84AR turbine, but .49 trim compressor. Would this be a better bet than #2 since it would balance out with a smaller compressor trim but is that a bad thing?

finally #4 is a T3/T4 stage IV with O trim turbine wheel

.70AR compressor .63AR turbine and .50trim

#1 or #4 seems like a good bet... are 2 and 3 too big?

I would not recommend getting a turbo on e-bay. You really should spend the money and get the right turbo for your car.

The flow of the exhaust turbine will effect the spool up time and as long as the compressor is not in the surge zone it will make boost. To get what you want, "no lag and 320 to 340 whp you will need the right turbo. Not a e-bay turbo that looks like it will work.

Get a stock turbo from a 280zxt and have the compressor changed to a T04E-50 trim at a turbo shop like Majestic Turbos in Dallas. Don't mess with the exhaust turbine unless you are going to change the cam. FYI, a stage 3 exhaust turbine mod on a T3 turbine makes full boost around 3500 rpm which doesn't work well with the stock cam.

bought a Holset HE351 with 3,000 miles on it off of ebay for ~$200. These things are built to run about 25 psi+ from the factory for turbodiesels. Many ppl are running them on here. They come in the Cummins turbodiesels. Those three models will work but be wary as some of the other ones may not.

Guest 280ZForce
I've been thinking about the Holset HY35...does it just bolt up to the existing manifold and exhaust flanges? If mods are required, how hard are they? Sorry if these questions seem pretty simple, I'm Mr. Ten Thumbs.

Yes, it'll bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold. I believe you have to bore out the internal wastegate, I think there is a thread about what people have done regarding that.

I just had the internal waste gate welded shut and am running it on an external waste gate.

Other than that of course you will have to adjust your ic piping and downpipe if you already have it setup.

If you are going to run a turbo that others on here haven't run I would learn about them a little more. The T70 on ebay should use a 70mm inducer on the compressor wheel instead of the 60.5mm on it uses. It also uses a P trim wheel, with a .84 hotside, you will have quite a bit of lag ( a high boost threshold if TonyD is reading:D).

The Ebay 60-1 should use a 60mm wheel not a 57T, whatever that is. If you are tyring to save a buck I would do the Holset as people on here can tell you were it will come on at and it is T3 flanged.

For full T4, I know an O trim with a .68-70 hotside or P trim with a .58 hotside will spool fast on a L28, you pick the compressor wheel for you HP goals but I would run a 60-1 for what you want, the injectors you have will limit your power first.

i am looking at a pair of HE-351's one has all the electronic goodies on it and the other one doesn't have all of that. Unsure which I should get? can megasquirt or other EMU control the boost controller and other junk on the turbo

i am looking at a pair of HE-351's one has all the electronic goodies on it and the other one doesn't have all of that. Unsure which I should get? can megasquirt or other EMU control the boost controller and other junk on the turbo

Just grab a standard one IMHO. I have heard ppl say to avoid the megasquirt boost control system for now. I bought an HKS adjustable wastegate for mine (for an SR20).