HybridZ

Noises coming from the bellhousing!!

wrxand280z

I have a T56 on a 78 350. I put everything together and took it for a spin and I heard these loud bumping noises. So I figured it was the trans hitting the trans tunnel. So I massaged the tunnel so it doesn't rub any more and its still making the noise. I stuck my hand on different areas of the car and the thumping noise is definitely coming from inside the bell housing. I used all brand new parts from GM. The only think I can think that it would be is the throw out bearing. Is there supposed to be a clip or something that keeps it in place?

The noise only happens when the clutch is disengaged (i.e. foot off of the petal). If I depress the clutch the noise goes away.

I did not use a stub when putting the friction disc in but I pulled the bell housing off and stuck input shaft into the flywheel for alignment. My buddy thinks that it might be because I did not use this tool but I can't see why that would be.

Please help.

Joe

The alignment tool just makes it easier to install the tran shaft in the first place. If you got it all together then it is properly aligned.

One thing for sure, if the noise is truly loud then dropping the trans should tell you in an instant where the interference is. Loud noises most likely means visible marks.

Did you check the run out on the bellhousing? Here is a pretty good description of what I mean

http://www.camaros.org/bellhousings.shtml