HybridZ

Has anyone done this? Sub boxes...

BurnoutZ

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess people here don't understand the other benefits of running a lrge sub, such as a 15".

A larger subwoofer will play lower frequencies, easier and at lower volumes, for a fuller richer sound.

I had two 15" subs in my 1985 Buick Skyhawk, that had probably a little less passenger compartment volumn than an S30, and it sounded sweet. I used an aperiodic "enclosure", in which there is a resistive membrane that tunes the resistance to the air mass to be exactly what the sub needs to play that frequency. Tight, accurate, and will play extremely low. The trade off is effciancy, it takes a LOT of power to make an aperiod enclosure play loudly. Mine was very effciant for some reason in that I would be able to break 130 db, IIRC I hit amaximum of about 132db, which is extremely efficiant for two 15s in an aperiodic design.

I would use this style enclosure again, but in a hatchback design such as the S30, the rear wave would need to be vented to the outside of the car, and I like to keep my bass, and sound within my car. Also venting to the outside would introduce a path for moisture to work it's way through the membrane and into the enclosure, possibly effecting the subwoofers.

I'll probably end up installing a pair of 10s or 12s in my 240, because I have 3 12s and 8 10s sitting in my basement right now, and if I don't sell them I'll use what I have. Is this overkill? Nope not in the least, especially when set-up for sound quality, in the right enclosure.

the problem with larger subs

a they are larger so they cannot provide the clean sound at higher volumes yes it will make noise but will it sound good...... in my oppinion no I have run through subs in diffrent scenereos and still lean towards the 12s they just sound the best to me. just my .02

• 1 month later...