HybridZ

New RB Guide (in progress) - Need Assistance

Careless

Hey Gents

So, since our RB forum is flourishing just as fast as any other, I've started to compile my information that I've saved and taken note of within my limited engine assembly.

It's obviously not the end all and be all, but there are some things I'd like to include that I'm afraid I don't have enough information to portray successfully.

1) head-coolant mod. I've seen some installs, but none are too great in depth, and If someone who's done it can message me exclusively and set me up with some good info so I could acquire parts before I get my head, that way I can do it as soon as it comes (with all the intake piping attached)

2) the 5th & 6th cylinder lean condition. I'd need to investigate the causes and the symptoms that occur with the supporting elements associated with those two cylinders. If anyone has access to this information, or cares to share, I shall give credit on a "per section" basis of the guide (that way copycats cannot just delete the last page :-) )

I do this publication and editorial design stuff as a career, but I am not making any money off this. I don't own a publishing company and it's definately not going to be something people can't live without. I'm looking to put something together for us that perhaps we could password as well (serialized, too). It's not a security issue, it's just that if someone needs information, they can come here and contribute their experiences, rather than get the information from a site that claims it as their own. If you want to give the file to someone, just link them here. More traffic opens up more opportunity, and the site owners get something out of it too.

Everyone is credited, gets benefits from it, and it's fair game.

I'd like to create this with my up and coming company, in accordance with HybridZ, PrimeEMS, and RIPSNZ if interested. If not, I'm going to have to host it on my up and coming company's website.

No company secrets needed. If you consider something a secret, let me know, and I'll pop in a phone number and a website for more information. That keeps it concise yet elaborate enough to get someone's creative juices flowing. And it gives you a reason to share something. There are no RB books that I'm aware of, so perhaps this can apply to a wider range of RB tech in the future. If someone seriously needs to know how one person did that and why this company does this thing, they can call you and pay for it.

A Nissan FAST guide will be included as well, so people can find whatever parts they need.

The reason I need assistance is because I'm not going to turbocharge or supercharge my engine, and you can bet people will be looking in there for Turbo tech. I don't wanna limit the information to my build specifically.

Who's in?

PM me with interest. I've got some good helpers already, it's just difficult to keep everything organized when dealing with files all day away from leisure stuff like this, I'm basically starting from half way to where I've been already. This way I can consolidate my info a little better and keep it easy to read.

Anyone with information on sections that I should make will be a good help.

So far I have

Head

• Intake information

• Exhaust information

• Design Problems
  • Solutions & Preventative Modifications
  • After-market Parts Section with progressive mod/parts list
  • Nissan FAST Parts list
  • Stateside parts exchange/cross-reference

Block

• Pistons
  • Rods
  • Bearings
  • Bolts
  • Nissan FAST Parts list

Drivetrain

• Compatible Transmissions
  • Compatible Flywheels
  • Compatible After-market parts interchange

Machining & Blueprinting

• Clearances
  • Bearing choices and part numbers
  • Block modifications (this is a touchy subject for some)
  • Problem areas & Solutions
  • Nissan FAST Parts list

Ignition

• Ignition insight (nothing too in depth)
  • Viable options
  • Wiring diagnostic
  • Nissan FAST Parts list

Injection

• Injection insight
  • Fuel supply
  • Viable options
  • Recommended modifications based on power level
  • Nissan FAST Parts list

Regular Maintenance

• Fluid Recommendation
  • Filter Options
  • Nissan FAST Parts list for proper operation and maintenance

Miscellaneous Tech

• Custom modifications and small things that don't fit anywhere else, or fit in too many categories.
  • Nissan FAST Parts list for proper operation and maintenance

Nissan FAST

• Using Nissan's FAST system (from installation to operation)
  • Cross-referencing with parts, world-wide

Anything I'm missing, please help if you can. This isn't a "do it this way cause its the best". It's much like Cube's RB30 guide, except a bit more indepth, and with some more pictures (because I'll be taking them in high-res all by myself, using product shot boxes and such... I have them)

I can also send preliminary copies to those who assist for some feedback and criticism/input.

Aye Aye, gents! These RB's need some clearing up, and I MIGHT catalogue the PDF so searching is easier too. LOL

I'd LOVE to put a server-side counter that would send a ticket to my email everytime someone uses the "search" feature on the PDF, but I don't see it happening, and I don't see it being used anyway. HAHAHA

Accepting all pm's now =)

Oh, and I'm still shipping out small skyline parts if you need'm and can't find em. Let me know if you guys need some engine bits and pieces.

Raffaele

36 views, hmmm? I guess I'm asking for a bit too much, or we're all in the same situation. lol.

it's understandable.

RB30DE.com is mine now, and I'll be putting it all online there.

Cheers guys. IF YOU WANT to help, anything is appreciated.

in regards to the 5&6 lean condition....

With most inline 6's there tends to be more heat in the rear cylinders. When there is more heat, the fuel mixture should be richened up to produce less heat. The factory ecu probably compensates for this, but not good enough.

Here is just an idea for taking some heat out of the rear cylinders, buy an extra heater core, hook it up to you existing heater hoses and mount it up front or somewhere with decent airflow. Then hook up a small electric fan with a thermostatic switch that is lower than what your normal operating temp is.

in regards to the 5&6 lean condition....

With most inline 6's there tends to be more heat in the rear cylinders. When there is more heat, the fuel mixture should be richened up to produce less heat. The factory ecu probably compensates for this, but not good enough.

Here is just an idea for taking some heat out of the rear cylinders, buy an extra heater core, hook it up to you existing heater hoses and mount it up front or somewhere with decent airflow. Then hook up a small electric fan with a thermostatic switch that is lower than what your normal operating temp is.

Thanks for the replys R-J,

Hmm, I feel no shame in admitting I don't quite fully get the heater core modification you speak of. Can you enlighten me a bit more, please?

As for the actual modifications to the cylinders, some people usually bore out 5 and 6 a little wider. I'm not sure why... is that due to expansion caused by heat, or are people deliberately trying to get a skim of oil to slip passed the rings and cool down the combustion temps? It's a toss up :icon55:

I know of some mods, I just don't know why people do them. These are things like the oil restrictors that are often just assumed to be good, or things to do without knowing why. I'm just having trouble finding why more than how in some cases like this... But just about all of the information I find on HybridZ is damn good :-D

When you get everything compiled. You may want to start a new thread and hopefully no one will reply to it. They should send you a message to add or make changes. All the sticky threads are cluttered up and it takes too long to read before finding what you are looking for. Lots of great info but too many side bar topics. Still much better than any other forum by far.

When you get everything compiled. You may want to start a new thread and hopefully no one will reply to it. They should send you a message to add or make changes. All the sticky threads are cluttered up and it takes too long to read before finding what you are looking for. Lots of great info but too many side bar topics. Still much better than any other forum by far.

True enough, but I think I'll make it available on my website and have links to hybridz, and people can forward me changes to make on the site, and they will get linked back to discussion threads here if it's at all acceptable.

you're right about this forum, way more information than what i've found elsewhere, but still somewhat disorganized.

but then again, so am i.

Question for everyone, though.

Are there any sections that I should add, that way I can gather my research and so that I'm not leavign anything out with my own build?

Just a thought I think there is a thread on the TPS sensors and the swap to the Q45 throttle bodies, which is a popular mod. It might be an interesting topic to cover in the pdf. I also think it might be cool to have a list of e-mails and or phone numbers of shops which regularly stock the hard to get RB parts. Any how I think this is a great idea !

Just a thought I think there is a thread on the TPS sensors and the swap to the Q45 throttle bodies, which is a popular mod. It might be an interesting topic to cover in the pdf. I also think it might be cool to have a list of e-mails and or phone numbers of shops which regularly stock the hard to get RB parts. Any how I think this is a great idea !

Yes, I'll have to add the MAF and TPS swap info for sure, but I need to trust someone else on the photography and steps, and I'll draw the diags.

I'm not running MAF so it will be hard for me to do that part.

As for the list of hard to get RB Parts.

I have no problem doing that, but I'm definately not advertising for anyone. If people or shops contribute, I'll include their website and number or email if they want.

But for hard to find parts a simple "name" insert is all they're going to get. people can do google searches if they really want to find out where to get the parts.

This weekend I might bring all my stuff upto my parents house to take pics of everything I've bought for the engine thus far. =D

Do you think it might be a good idea to have a ref table that shows what minimum mods are needed to fit specific type engines in various cars.

Examp: RB20DET in 1975 280z or s130 body. Need motor mounts, new water sending unit for water gauge, Tach adaptor. GTR Oil pan. Things like that.

This would indicate the level of difficulty and help estimate cost for the type of swap you are interested in doing just to get the car to run under the new engine. Not to win races at the track.

Do you think it might be a good idea to have a ref table that shows what minimum mods are needed to fit specific type engines in various cars.

Examp: RB20DET in 1975 280z or s130 body. Need motor mounts, new water sending unit for water gauge, Tach adaptor. GTR Oil pan. Things like that.

This would indicate the level of difficulty and help estimate cost for the type of swap you are interested in doing just to get the car to run under the new engine. Not to win races at the track.

That would definately be a good Idea.

that would have to go under a Z specific section of the build though. Adding to that, I'd need input from anyone else who's done such mods.

I'd highly consider it.

Thanks for the replys R-J,

Hmm, I feel no shame in admitting I don't quite fully get the heater core modification you speak of. Can you enlighten me a bit more, please?

its bascially acting like a mid system intercooler for the engine coolant so that it cools better in the hotter portion of the engien bay

its bascially acting like a mid system intercooler for the engine coolant so that it cools better in the hotter portion of the engien bay

I was under the impression that it would act more as a secondary Radiator for the hot part of the head at the rear, rather than an intercooler, as it's not really intake air that it's displacing in order to cool.

But I guess it's virtually the same thing.

I was under the impression that it would act more as a secondary Radiator for the hot part of the head at the rear, rather than an intercooler, as it's not really intake air that it's displacing in order to cool.

But I guess it's virtually the same thing.

well a radiator is an intercooler. but they are both technically heat exchangers. it is acting as a second radiator.

regardless isn't alot of the stuff you are wanting to put up already here in one form or another and some are even sticky. i would find a consolidated list of links in sticky form helpful for engien stuff. but since i am putting my RB25 in a Z31 i would only find engine related stuff helpful

Well, I could go looking through stickies, but Ive already done a lot of that, and that's what's making me do this website.

I hate having to visit a bajillion websites to get information, and I'm sure others do too.

I've got mind mapping software now that is very intuitive. It's programmed well enough to write an instructional booklet (and exports to a word file too!)

so i'm going to start compiling all my information in there =)

Should be able to start that the end of this weekend, got some other projects that need do-age :D

Hey everyone.

I'm in need of someone who is keen on RB26 head work and block preparation to glance over a PDF i have created that has a mind map.

But I ask that the person does not send it to anyone else. I just need to see if there are important things I've forgot (heck, I know there is!)

Any volunteers?

I'm not asking for additional information, just topics that should be touched on.

Trying to mind map over 100 topics... you start to forget a couple here and there.

Guest kismetcapitan

the lean condition in the #6 cylinder is NOT caused by heat (although heat exacerbates knock tendency in that cylinder as its the last to get coolant). It's simply the design of the intake plenum. The first five cylinders take the amount of air they want, and the last one gets stuck with any extra air...that's a basic way to look at it.

The Nismo RB26 plenum addresses this problem by evening out airflow (would have been nice if they had it figured out from the beginning, but the Nismo design wasn't available until very recently, 2004-ish IIRC).

The quick fix is to increase injector flow to #5 by a touch, and #6 by a little more. This is easily done if you have a Power FC, and have control of each injector.

I am very interested in this project - both in contributing what I know, as well as seeing the final result :D

Well Kismet, you'll be happy to know that:

1) I had some Kismet pizza yesterday

and, more importantly

2) I sent a copy of the PDF to someone on the board for some slight review on the topics. It's not filled with info yet, but just about every topic that I can think of was added or has been appended since.

Now the trick is to get some pictures. I have to wait until I get my engine head for most of that. But I'm filling in the data here and there starting this weekend. Gotta install F.A.S.T. on my pop's computer, as I do the work at his place.

Raff

Guest kismetcapitan

misfiring. a lot of Skyline guys have misfire problems of all sorts. these usually fall into spark plug gap problems, or ignitor being toasted. Worn coilpacks can contribute, as well as the coilpack loom, which gets stiff and old. There are more complex situations as well such as momentary overfueling, etc.