HybridZ

280z 5speed on an L28et?

HyFi

You'll need to ensure the 1/4" spacer (used with the auto flexplate) is removed at the crankshaft where the manual flywheel will mount. You'll also need to ensure there's a bushing installed in the crankshaft end for the nose of the first motion shaft of the tranny. For what it's worth, the early T5 used is not much stronger than the early 5 speed. It is the later WC T5's where they start to show substance.

The S13 (240SX) transmission is very stout for most applications. The touted T5 you speak of was in it's infancy in 1983. It is over-rated most likely because the later T5's and WC T5's are sought after transmissions for performance application. We're talking apples and oranges here. The early T5 is not a favorable box. If you're in the market to do a swap then follow 1fastz's or my lead and choose a better transmission than the early BW T5. I'm building a S13 5 speed for my 3.0 SC stroker project. You'll have to get the early 5 speed bellhousing modified ( to accept the larger KA countershaft front bearing, 1/2 shifter rod OD, and clearance for the CS front gear) at a local machine shop but it's a reasonable and doable undertaking. Do a search for the 240SX transmission swap.