HybridZ

Some pics of my custom 3.5" exhaust...

synthtk

So after being at near tears every time I drove the car for the past few months due to the exhaust fumes entering the cabin, I decided it was time to build a real exhaust system.

Originally my neighbor provided me some 4" piping off a diesel bus originally (free w00t!) but this was just too big for the car so I went ahead and went with a 3.5" system. I bought almost everything from Summit Racing and it cost me around $200 for everything except the stock Skyline downpipe, I ended up getting the tip and hanger from Autozone because those parts were delayed from Summit.

Off the turbos I used parts of the piping off the stock downpipe, mainly the flanges and some of the 2.25" tubing to come down under the car. From that point the 2.25" piping goes into a 2.25" to 2.5" adapter which then goes into the 2x2.5" to 3.5" Y collector. From the collector back to the exhaust I use 3.5" piping to a 3.5" straight through exhaust to a bling bling Autozone "clamp on" muffler tip which is 4".

There are two bends from some 3.5" piping my neighbor gave me, into and out of the muffler, but other than that its all angle cut straight pipe.

• Y-Collector is a 2.5" to 3.5" Flowmaster with Summit part #: FLO-Y250350
  • Muffler is 3.5" straight through 14" long Stainless Steel MagnaFlow with Summit part #: MPE-14161
  • Piping is 3.5" 4' long aluminized steel with Summit part #: SUM-640035, I got two of these.
  • Reducers are Dynomax 2.25" to 2.5" with Summit part #: WLK-41961, I got two of these.
  • Tip is a random Autozone special 2.75 "clamp on" to 4" tip.
  • Hangers are universal autozone hangers, I got one with a rubber loop at one end and metal L and then one that has a rubber strap to metal on both ends for welding/bolting to the body/piping.

Unfortunately what I forgot to get was some 3.5" flanges... so the exhaust at this point is one complete piece, which is a huge PITA to put on, the next time I order from summit I will get two sets of flanges to break the exhaust into 3 pieces. At that same time I will paint it with high-temp black paint.

Exhaust%20%289%29.jpg

Downpipe side done, using the flanges, piping (angles changed), and flex pipe from the Skyline downpipe. To get some additional clearance between the collector and the transmission I ground down some extra webbing on the transmission.

Exhaust%20%2810%29.jpg

Piping to the end of the differential. The piping has a good 1" spacing around the body pan underneath.

Exhaust%20%2815%29.jpg

Finished product, for the tip I cut off the back off that had the neck down section to the "clamp on" section and welded it onto a slight bend coming off muffler. There is one hanger at front of the muffler that bolts to the fuel cell cradle and then another by the exhaust tip that goes to the stock muffler mounting position behind the rear bumper.

The unfortunate part of this? It was getting late in the day and I was getting tired so when aligning the tip to come out I forgot to take into consideration that the car was sitting at an angle, so now the tip comes out at a funky angle... project for a future date.

Exhaust%20%2816%29.jpg

Under body shot, the exhaust definitely the lowest point on the car but I have not had any problems with scraping except once coming out of a steep driveway.

More photos here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rb240z/20070930Exhaust

While I have done most of the fab in this swap project except the aluminum bits I am far from a pro welder so yeah the welds aren't the prettiest things in the world, but not bad considering I am using a Harbor Freight MIG welder I think.

Looks great.

I'm getting ready to put in a buddy club spec II catback system. I'm gonna get the downpipe custom made. The tricky part for me will be getting past the tranny mount. It doesn't fit tight inside the tunnel like I want but we will see.

Right now I'm running open header. I have to look through the gas mask to drive. I'll miss that queasy feeling when it's done. 'not'

• 1 year later...