HybridZ

Super/turbo charger update

frank280zx

ok for now this is how it stands

charger_web.jpg

apparently tony talked to BJhaines and he had some issues with slippage over certain levels of boost (13?) and had to ad a idler pulley .. i have a set up i can make work around the snout.. but ill first try this, next to that i get half my pressure from a turbo anyway. Dont mind the way it looks as this is my mock up engine, for the tension pulley i used a lathe to hollow out a alternator pulley and to turn down a OEM power steering pulley so it would fit inside, next to that the bracket had to be lowered about 5mm..

All in all im pretty content with my progress. though along the way i will prolly make changes

IT seems to be feasible at least

No, that was Ken Jones.

I know, 'we all look alike'!

I never got any e-mails...

I think your tensioner is in the wrong place for effective auto-tensioning. The water pump will have to turn clockwise (if I remember correctly) to work right, and it looks like the water pump has serpentine grooved belt pulley on it, so it will take some belt twisting to get it there. Though it will give you a better wrap on the S/C by going under the water pump (but that would turn it the wrong way)... So your alternative is to move that tesnioner over toward the S/C and then wrap the pump over the intake side of the WP Pulley. I forget which way the tensioner works...

No, that was Ken Jones.

I know, 'we all look alike'!

I never got any e-mails...

I think your tensioner is in the wrong place for effective auto-tensioning. The water pump will have to turn clockwise (if I remember correctly) to work right, and it looks like the water pump has serpentine grooved belt pulley on it, so it will take some belt twisting to get it there. Though it will give you a better wrap on the S/C by going under the water pump (but that would turn it the wrong way)... So your alternative is to move that tesnioner over toward the S/C and then wrap the pump over the intake side of the WP Pulley. I forget which way the tensioner works...

The waterpump is driven by a seperate pulley. ( dampner, waterpump, alternator)

The SC is driven in the location a zx would have the PS streeing pulley. I will have to manual tension it in the way the PS pump is done in a normal zx.

Ican still built a tensioner over the snout of the SC but as it sits it looks like it will work fine.. ill try it if it slips ill work on it

You do know Frank, that BHJ Dynamics now makes a damper/super charger assembly. I know it is not as cheap as what you have made, but I think you may like the part.

I would imagine it is .. however before i spend money on the assembly im wanting to see if my idea works, if it does i want to replace the under drive pulley for e beter setup.. do you have a link ?

Spooning Dutch B-Tard!

LOL

Make him give you something for it Jeff. Like a Differential Cooler Assembly complete with cooler and tubes so it's bolt-in to 'the Brown Mongoose'...you can stick mirrors under there to wow the crowd against 'Z-Viper' next year!

Looks good to me Frank. I never did like the thin blower belts myself, but if they work go for it. You could also go with an electric water pump if the idler becomes an issue to free up some placement locations.

I say boost the piss out of it and see how it works.

I REFUSE to be soiled by the Z31's presence on my turf. All 69-83's and 89-up are welcome...

Sadly, that is the range of the stuff back there now. You never saw #305 when you were here last, did you? How could I ever put the "Nissan Saturn" next to #305???