HybridZ

Can't open driver dr on my '77

I’m unable to open the driver side door. Using the key I can lock and unlock the door. Using the inside and outside handles I can see the system moving, but nothing is unlatching the door. So right now the door is either locked or unable to unlatch. Anyone have any ideas ? As of yet I have not removed the door panel. HELP

well i've had the same problem....usually the codder pin that holds the latching bar to the locking mechanism falls off and the whole thing just stops working...

but since you can see everything working, i dunno what to tell you really.

can you open it from the inside?

best bet would be to take the panel off ad see whats up. Should only take about 30 mins.

You need to pull the panel.

I had that same problem and found the linkage was bent. It was not allowing the lock and handle to work properly. There isn't much to it.

Once you open it up you’re probably gonna say, ok that was easy.

Agreed, had the same issue and took maybe one hour to fix it all and put it back together.

OK I got the door panel pulled away. I can push down on the paddle section of the latch (the area of the latch that the external handle rod goes through) and nothing. I compared it o the right door rods and they look the same. I also acuated the internal handle and still no bind, full movment. I then removed the door lock, just to take it out of the picture and still no "click and open" It seems to be internal of the latch system.

I recently decided to stop crawling in from the passengers side to get into my car... and I found about 6 different things wrong with the door handle/lock system. Its not too hard to figure out once you're in there and spend some time getting to know the system (and what parts are missing!)

Good Luck

Sooooooo where is this shaft at?

The outside door handle rod pushes down on the bracket that also connects the inside door handle. That bracket is attached to the main shaft. The lock rod connects to another bracket that just allows the first bracket to pivot. You could try to spray some P.B.Blaster at the back of the latch mechanism and it may free it up.

Are you positive the lock rod is actually turning it's bracket to unlock the other bracket? I still believe it's a gum up issue, but the gum up could be keeping the lock bracket from allowing the main shaft to turn.