HybridZ

EL Mirage speed trails

Well while visting el mirage dry lake bed in SO CAL last weekend and watchig guys go over 200 mph.. i figured out want i want to do.

So my car would fit in the grand touring,Blown class, C engine class 5.7L. The current record at el mirage is 203.xx mph for my class.

two weeks from now me and a friend are going to start installing the scta spec roll cage for a 200mph car, parachute(anthing over 175mph), and finish installing the turbocharger with blow thrugh carb setup, EFI is not allowed only mechaincal injection.

I recently got a tremec 5 speed from a '02 camaro im going to be useing to test.

I figure just getting the car out there and doing 150 will make me happy for now.. but im wondering what stock rear end gears are? if i rember corrcectly manual trans 280z came 3.5? and autos were 3.3? so say i got the 3.3 rear end and im in 5th gear doing max rpm lets say 6k rpm i dobut my top MPH would even be near 200 (if i have the HP)

What do yall think?

Andy

The guys at Kugel Komponents in CA did it (200 mph) with a SBC at 700+HP with a 2.73:1 rear gear and about 25-26 inch tires a few years ago at Bonneville, then went back again to try for 300 mph. I haven't talked to them recently, so I don't know what their current combination is. They ran a very low third gen Firebird body with no excess weight & tube frame/cage - probably lighter than a stock Zcar. That isn't exact data, but it should put you in the ball park for what it takes to go fast in a straight line.

http://www.geocities.com/z_design_studio/ This should help with seeing if you can go that fast with the given ratios.

VERY helpful... looks like with automatic rear end with ratio of 3.3 and a 5 speed with .78 5th gear at 5500RPM im looking at 158 mph. :(

then change the trans to T56 with .5 6th gear and im lookin at 234 mph at 5500 RPM... maybe i need a 6 speed or convert to soild axle :(

There is a orange chopped 240 there struggling to make that speeds.. anyhow talk to TonyD .. Your gearing is not the problem it is pushing that brick through 170..

use a gnose for starters .. I have been rivalaged to go up there with andy flagg and tonys team a few times .. 200 mph you ahve a ways to go!