HybridZ

R200 raw numbers/ ARB locker

happynukes

Ok i've used the search and I've done the research and back searched and forward searched etc. etc. What I want to know is does anyone have hard legitimate number like a dyno run to verify what the longnose R200 is really capable as far as torque capacity.

I have read the major stickies (very very informative by the way) and the big one i read over and over again has said that they were capable of 400ft-lbs. plus. "Jmortesen" created a great sticky and blew my mind away with all the options possible in a Z. still reading it to completely grasp the information presented in this one thread, just to soak it up.

I would like to see some numbers from someone with a high output engine preferably something that is making 500+ft-lbs of torque.

I am in the midst of talking to the "jnj drag racing" brothers or team to find out how they are running a 6-71 blower on a close to stock rear setup.

The thing is I have read over and over about how to reinforce the rear from going with a solid mount to a cushioned with polyurethane or both I have totally confused myself by reading all the different opinions about this.

I want to go for solid front to back or as soft as the polyurethane (I know this is still a hard material) all the way around just for some security for absortion on the hard launches.

The car I am in the midst of setting up over the next couple of years will have a 383 stroker and a 150-250 shot of nitrous which will create over 500ft-lbs. of torque (estimated). This will be a street strip car more of a midnight burn on the highway or weekend ride.

The ARB air locking diff seems like a great idea at a very reasonable price for the setup. simply push a button for seriousness and then push it back when around town.

like I said I have read so much about these diffs and gotten scared then happy and then scared again. I thought about going with the ford nine inch due to durability to abuse but it seems like it would be just as time consuming and expensive as putting the 230 in, and i would achieve less handling.

I am open to any suggestion and help and dyno numbers would be greatly appreciated as proof for this rear diff

hope this is spaced enough not to cause an eye sore

thanks

If you take the cars weight and what it runs in the quarter you can get close to how much power it is making. I'm just guessing, but JnJ runs low nines with about a 2600 pound car? so i'm guessing he has about 800-850 horses at the motor. That is PROOF that an r-200 will handle what your going to throw at it. Also there are alot of poeple running around with setups just like what you want to do using an r-200. I'd would be more worried about breaking halfshafts rather than the rear. JnJ also post his suspension setup on here so search on here for "drag racing setup" or something like that.

Don't search this section, search the suspension section.

If you are looking for a guarantee saying an r200 will not break with 500ft/lbs of torque I don't think you are going to get it.

There are guys who have broken an r200 with a normaly aspirated L-28 (or at least thats what they claim) and you see the other extreme with guys with big horsepower doing fine. The weakness seems to be the cross pin getting loose, the sticky has more info in it. That's why some guys have chosen to go to the r230.

A lot of tracks will boot you off the drag strip once you dip into the 10's regularly so it forces a lot of guys that are that fast to a solid diff anyway.

I will intentionally stay above the 10's in the Z plus the tires i'll have on it won't be able to hook up and launch hard without breaking the tires loose. I've already got a 9 sec track car so i'm good there this Z project is mainly for the street, track days will be few.

the big principle aboout this car is the handling I have an 81 that I bought in high school and have always loved the handling capabilities of the Z's hence the reason why I bought the 76

would the phantom grip product eliminate the pin problem or would the ARB locker work as well still want to hear from someone with one of these two products installed thanks for the input

would the phantom grip product eliminate the pin problem or would the ARB locker work as well still want to hear from someone with one of these two products installed thanks for the input

The phantom grip has been talked to death on this site. there are a lot of posts from people who had them, and then got rid of them, so this is one time a search will tell you what you want to hear.

As for the locker, I don't remember ever seeing a post by anyone who has used one. In fact, the idea they are even available for an R200 is a fairly recent topic of conversation around here. If you want to find people who have one, I would put up a thread with a title "Anyone with a detroit locker in an R200?"

I would imagine the locker will be as strong as a welded diff. There are plently of testimonials about those around here. I would have to agree with everyone else that installing a locker will push your fail points to the stub axles and half shafts.

If you take the cars weight and what it runs in the quarter you can get close to how much power it is making. I'm just guessing, but JnJ runs low nines with about a 2600 pound car? so i'm guessing he has about 800-850 horses at the motor. That is PROOF that an r-200 will handle what your going to throw at it. Also there are alot of poeple running around with setups just like what you want to do using an r-200. I'd would be more worried about breaking halfshafts rather than the rear. JnJ also post his suspension setup on here so search on here for "drag racing setup" or something like that.

Don't search this section, search the suspension section.

Guys our car weight is 2707 pounds with driver, we are still running the original rearend that came in the car (1976 280Z ) with 3.54 ratio. It is a Lincoln Locker (Welded) carrier.We went a 9.21 @ 153mph on haftshafts, but now we are using the 300Z turbo CV axles with stock stub axles. I know this will be the kiss of Death, but we have never broke a CV axle or stub axle yet.We did Destroy our share of haftshafts and haftshaft u-joints On the Dyno jet ichassis dyno it made 698HP and 627 LBS of Torque.These numbers are from 1/28/06.ZGAD (Mike) has been a 8.91@153 on a stock R200 rear end.The R200 is one BAD DUDE. RIP, and his ZEBRA Z is running the R200 also and he knows how to punish one too, He has never broke a unit or CV axle.My Goal has always been to go into the 8's on stock stuff.We hope to do that at the March race. Jerry

How in the heck are you not breaking the stub axles, I have busted 3 this year alone and I am running 383 sbc that runs high tens on motor and a 175 shot that I cannot use as I snap stuff on motor.

Rolling out and hitting the bottle in 2nd it runs 10.30's at 135-138.

How in the heck are you not breaking the stub axles, I have busted 3 this year alone and I am running 383 sbc that runs high tens on motor and a 175 shot that I cannot use as I snap stuff on motor.

Rolling out and hitting the bottle in 2nd it runs 10.30's at 135-138.

I do not know, our best 60' to date is a 1.32 .But we do have two spare ones in the road box just in case.When we put in the New blower motor, this will be the true test.Jerry

currently talking to marc at ARB about the air locker setup sounds like it will take some serious torque and for the price it seems like a good deal.

after that install is taken care of i'll install the half shafts and get the adapters from MMA and the mounts will be aluminum

once i get to this point i wil update everyone with the results