HybridZ

Do 240Z axles or any other parts fail under roadracing condi

I am considering if I should build a Datsun r200 with LSD, disk brakes, coil overs, etc. If it might fail under hard use I will use vette IRS or 9" ford. I just dont want to through good money after bad. My car could run up to 550HP LS1.

cyrus

Horsepower is not the issue, lateral loads are.

The 240Z (and 280Z) stub axles do fail after a number of years road racing. The failure rate varies but most ITS racers I know remove and magnaflux or replace the stub axles yearly. That's with about 25 hours of track time per year. Front spindles are also checked at the same interval.

BTW... the parts you mention will also fail under hard track use and should be inspected at least annually. There's no such thing as a "Build and forget" race car.

What John said!

Having broken one on the ITS car and just this past week on the EP car, I can attest to the need for rigorous maintenance on this part.

John, BTW, do you have any experience with hardening the stub axles--heat treating, cryo-treating, etc?

Gary

Nissan Comp used to sell magnafluxed, shot peened, and polished 280Z stub axles. Been NLA for a long time. Don Potter used to do the same + cryo treat to a matched set of stub axles and companion flanges. $1,000 a set. He was pretty sick a couple years ago and I haven't heard anything from him.

New 280Z stub axles were available until early last year. NLA now. Luckily I bought the last 4 Courtesy Nissan had!

BTW... I think I know where there's two cases of the Nissan Comp stub axles, but I haven't actually seen them. When I do, they will be my little secret!

Regarding the Virginia City Hill Climb - been there with Hayashi and Mello a few times. Personally I think there's a 1,000% greater chance of going over the edge from a driving mistake then from a mechanical. These Nissan parts are plenty strong enough, but as with ANY car used in racing you HAVE to check and inspect regularly.

Actually, my experience has been with the R180 stub axles and under racing conditions they hold up quite well--or to rephrase it, they don't break anymore often than everything else does!

John, if you should happen to meet up with any primo 240z stub axles, please let me know. . it would be kinda nice to actually use a new (albeit a 30 year old) part!

Gary

John,

I have race the VCHC the last 3 years. It is THE race. I have talked to the nsxfile guys. There racing fluxuates with the stock market :wink: I have never seen a Z there besides my uncle Richards (yellow with 415ci). I am trying to build mine dead light. I was amazed at the lotus, caterham, cars with 120 hp 1200lbs, outrunning high power cars.

Just to add some more fear ;) apparently rally zeds tend to crack the rear hub forging, across the two 'legs' that join the hub part to the strut housing. The crack usually starts where the handbrake cable bracket bolts on, the two holes tapped into the forging. Later models have a stronger forging though.

Never heard of this problem with circuit racing cars.