HybridZ

Pics of the LT1 ECU mounted in the Wiper valence area

Thanks for the input that you guys gave regarding potentially cutting the LT1 harness. I didn't end up needing to cut the harness and instead was able to feed it through the backside out into the engine bay.

Here are a few pics of the way that I ran the harness for the lighting, horns etc and then also the way that the LT1 ECU is mounted:

Wiper Valence area with airbox removed:

DSC04068.JPG

Wires feed through the firewall here (harness on left goes to the LT1 harness, harness on right is lighting, etc)

DSC04076.JPG

Lighting wires lead into the air vent tubes and then out a grommet towards the front of the car.

DSC04077.JPG

From there they go into the side of the base of the radiator support and out the other side:

DSC04080.JPG

In the middle, the wires for the cooling fan and horns come out nicely (since the pic, they have been grommetted and covered:

DSC04078.JPG

Here are pics of the ECU mounted (the ECU is mounted using part of the factory mount and several spacers to lift it up off the metal:

DSC04081.JPG

DSC04084.JPG

DSC04082.JPG

Currently, the wiring is being cleaned up where the harness exits the firewall. Due to moving the harness closer, I now have a good foot of extra harness that's taking up a lot of space. There is just enough space for all of the relays, etc. to fit and be covered up! Nice and clean.

Thoughts?

Bryan

hi Bryan, indeed a lot of cars have it in the same location, but make sure your drains are clog free after every season to ensure that it won't back up and drown the ECU. My drains were clogged with so many leaves. Good thing they were dry and showed no signs of moisture though.

The reason I mention it is due to the fact that a buddy of mine had an LT1 that got a soaked in a bit of water, and the actual connector going to the body of the ECU was not in the best condition, so the weather seal was somewhat dry or split. Long story short:

Fizz.

Pop.

Carb time.

LoL. Just lookin' out. Wouldn't want to see a purdy zee like that stranded on the side of the street, it should always be rollin' =)

Good points....whatever water does get to the valence area will be indirect. I test fitted the ECU there with the valence cover in place and the computer is completely covered.

The ECU itself is mounted at an angle so that any water will drain away from the computer itself. Also, I raised the ECU by 1/2" by using nylon spacers hard mounted to the bottom of the factory mounting bracket, so the ecu is off of the metal, with plenty of space for water run off.

Of course, that's all theroy, as the car hasn't moved under its own power in around uh....26 years. :)

The car will be driven, but not as a DD - hopefully not when I know that rain will be in forecasted as well.

As I get farther along in the wiring process, I'll take more pics.

Thanks for the input.

Bryan