HybridZ

FS5W71B return spring

Empedocles99

I've got a FS5W71B transmission in a 200sx (same transmission as in the non-turbo 280z).

The problem I'm having is that the shifter doesn't return to center when pushed left (towards 1/2). It does return to center if pushed right (towards 5/R).

I replaced the "spring return", and the replacement was about 1-2mm longer, but did not improve the situation.

Does anyone know what might cause this kind of problem?

If it is the same as a 280ZX box then there are no self centering springs as such, the later version of that box which had the six bolt plate on top for the shifter did have those springs, one each side. Workshop manual should show the arrangement.

If it is the same as a 280ZX box then there are no self centering springs as such, the later version of that box which had the six bolt plate on top for the shifter did have those springs, one each side. Workshop manual should show the arrangement.

Well, I think it's the same as the 280ZX box that doesn't have the bolted plate on top.

The service manual shows just one spring. I verified that if I take that spring out the shifter does not return to center from any gears, and when replaced, will return to center from 5/R, but not 1/2.

I do not see a second spring in the manual, or looking at the installed transmission. This is baffling to me.

How about switching to the SR20 or KA24 (or CA18 and RB20) boxes to see if it's actually your box and not the design. You can pick them up for a case of beer most of the time.

The bellhousing supposedly swaps right on, and they are a little different by design internally and externally. (C instead of B)

Dan0myte has posted a writeup of the differences here:

http://www.club-s12.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9505

Oh... so it is not broken, it is by design? I guess I'll just keep missing third on the track, hehe.

Yeh, its a detent spring thing, not as good as the later 'spring each side' design. I used to stuff up shifts too, later design FTW :)