HybridZ

Custom 5 bolt stub axles with or with 3/4" offset

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well, after so much trouble I have finally gotten my hubs back from the broaching company. They were great to deal with. I won't go into the immense amount of trouble to get these prototypes completed. Here are the photos of the broached flanges. I'll be machining other sets of flanges for the 930 CV (Terry) and the four bolt and six bolt Nissan CV's shortly. I'm also looking at another source for rolling threads rather than cutting threads on these stub axles. Right now I'm slam in the middle of a hybrid Land Rover project and it must be completed and given a good shakedown run within the next two months. Sometimes I wish I'd never picked up a wrench. LOL

020 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

021 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

Looking good (real good). I assume these can be drilled for a 4 bolt pattern as well? (Yes, I'm still on fours).

Me too. Please, Please, put me down for a pair. I'd love a 6 bolt (R230 axle bolt pattern) companion flange to go with a pair of those kick a$$ stub axles!! If possible, please advise when able....

thank you - j.

ezzzzzzz: What is the projected cost for these stub axles and companion flanges? I need 4 and 5 bolt on 4.5" wheel stub pattern with companion flanges to accept 300ZX Turbo CV half shafts to center section. What will the availability of these be? Please advise. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while and I've been pulled in other directions. Today I ordered some cold rolled 1018 to produce a small batch of flanges. These will be produced in three different patterns at this time. The flange broaching will be done by EDM and the stub axles will have rolled splines. These are inherently much stronger than cut splines. Prototyping is a slow and expensive process but there will be an end to it. I don't want to release anything I wouldn't be happy with. J. Soileau, if you or anyone has a spare flange for the R230 and would loan it out for measurements it would be appreciated. I'll return it ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Okay, here goes... The spline rolling will not happen. My axle manufacturer uses hardened (50 rockwell) material. The rolling process is limited to about a 34 hardness. I'm back to machining. I had my broaching company produce a quick pattern based on the rolled spline parameters. It should work with a machined spline...we'll see when it gets here. The spline count will still be 29. The most important aspect is the pressure angle. 45 degrees provides the maximum torque resistance. That is why I limiting the spline count to 29...nuff said. Material for the later Nissan CV joint is on order (5.5" diameter) to make flanges for the larger 4 and 6 bolt joints. All of this takes time AND money! I hope to have something for you in the first of the year. It will be worth the wait.

• 4 weeks later...

I've turned to another axle manufacturer. They have my drawings, a prototype axle, a stock axle and a internally splined reference plate to work with. I'll know soon if things will be progressing in the right direction. I feel confident that a final product is jsut around the corner.

I'm only focusing on the rear stub axles. Mine are designed with a 19mm offset to match the offset of a Z31 front 5-bolt hub. I know lots of people have been following this adventure. It is a slow and painfully expensive process. I've invested a lot of time and $$$ without the end results I'm looking for. Please be patient. I feel I'm close to a working product but it will still take a little time.

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching your progress, n I gotta say good job, it's looking nice. So what do you think a production set of these may cost? I'm putting a VQ35HR in my 280Z and prior to reading this thread I thought I'd be okay, but if V8's are breaking these my VQ may be too strong.

I've got an 86 NA I'm going to swap 5Lug from and likely I'll be putting in a VLS or CVLS from a Z32/Z33. Initially I'll want to use the 86 rims till I get new wheels.

What disk brakes could we use with your axles? I'm not sure the Maxima brackets/brake setup would still fit with your new offset???

Phar

The axle could be produced with 0 offset to use the present disk brackets. My prototypes are 19mm offset to match the Z31 front hubs. I intend to use spacers to offset the disk brackets appropriately in my 240Z. As for cost, I'm waiting on the manufacturer to get me quotes (that should be any hour now). I can only guesstimate the cost of axles and flanges to be around $1k. While that sounds like a lot of cash you're getting one heck of a nice product with flanges to match your axle choice. As for me, I'll continue to use my custom Porsche 930 CV's and axles. I can't imagine breaking them unless ungodly HP/TQ and dragway launches were the norm. Even then, I suspect it would take quite a few before failure occured.

Okay, take a deep breath. I didn't have the opportunity. First, these axles will be produced out of 4340 chromoly and fully heat treated. They should hold up to damn near anything you throw at them. The involute splines (most axles are made with straight cut gears which are inferior in load bearing) will be cut using a 45 degree pressure angle (many use a 30 degree angle for more splines but it doesn't add strength). This provides the maximum torque resistance. The studs will be screw-in types (12-1.25 or 1/2-20 yet to be determined). I'm leaning towards the 1/2" for additional shear strength. The cost of a pair of these beauties (only the axles) will be....drum roll....$1100 (I'm hoping I can get them down to the $1k range). Wow, you say. So did I until I gave great deal of thought. Remember that you'll not need to modify the axle housing in anyway. Stock bearings are also used. When you consider all the implications and cost then it really starts to make sense. These axles will be superior to the original axles and my initial prototypes in material, accuracy and strength. I'm waiting for the engineers to provide an estimate of HP capability. Matching flanges can be produced to your axle type for about $400 or I can provide you with the internal broach specs and you can have these made to the best of your ability. So you can get into a set of axles that should last most, if not all, of us for the rest of our car's days. Think about how much $$$ you pour into your wheels/tires, engine, stereo, gauges, etc. I'm having a set produced for me that also includes the initial (and only once) engineering/cad program. My cost will be approximately $1500 plus the cost of mating flanges. If anyone is still interested (and you really should be if you're pushing a lot of power) then let me know. I'll be around.

pressure_angles_thumb.gif

inv_splines_thumb.gif

Wow. well at that price, it's interresting, but it's 3x what I paid for the car hehe. just kidding. but really, maybe I'll wait till I break something and get an "upgrade opportunity" .

I liked Monzter's idea of swapping the bearing races to Z31. How much stronger do you think your axles will be over a Z31 axle? You're using better materials/much better machining, but what's the comparison?

The only bearings produced that fit the S30 hub are the stock bearings. I investigated machining for larger bearings. There was no viable way to pull it off without major work involved. Full custom hubs would be far higher still. I would easily expect that cost to be equal and exceed my axles/flanges.

The S30 axle has a 1.25" diameter. That is near center of a GM 10 bolt/Ford 8.8 and a GM 12 bolt axle. Most axle failures I've seen here are are at the point where the splines meet the inner bearing support. If not there it is where the splines meet the threaded end. On both accounts, my design has maximized the diameters in these areas. Secondly, the material will not be a hi-strength forged steel but 4340 Cromoly. It is a superior material and found in most axles used in the 'Super' classes of drag racing. I might mention that the Z31 axle is not available from Nissan any longer. As for strength comparison to the Z31, I have to believe this will be a stronger axle. That point is mute when you consider how difficult and pricy it would be to use Z31 axles in a S30 driveline.

Ross sells a set of 4340 axles for $700 based on the S30 design too. His are now using 39 splines. The only way to do that is the reduce the pressure angle to 30 degrees. I don't know if the splines are straight cut or not. That makes for a larger (barely) minimum diameter. The axle may be less prone to snapping (questionable) but spline damage becomes more probable. More splines do not equate to a stronger axle. Don't take my word for it. Contact any custom axle manufacturer and you'll hear the same thing. I do not have an axle to make comparison with but would like to put them side by side some day. I'm not trying to take anything away from Ross as he has always produced fine products and offered great service. In the end, it is always the customer that must decide where his/her money is best spent.

• 1 month later...

Well, here's my latest. I know no one here is willing to put out the money for a set of axles like this but I can say I did it. These were produced by Mark Williams Enterprises and at great cost. They are fully heat treated CNC'd Cromoly with screw-in studs. The spline count is 29 which is ideal (45 degree pressure angle) for the diameter while giving up a minimal of minor diameter. The only addition is the pressed spacer to get the 19mm offset I wanted. The last photo shows the nice fit of the internal broached reference plate. I'll let the pictures speak. I'm not through and will be looking to get the less expensive axles produced. Matching flanges are being machined as I type.

004 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

005 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

006 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

007 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

008 [640x480]_thumb.JPG

• 6 months later...