HybridZ

Custom 5 bolt stub axles with or with 3/4" offset

Yes, the outer adapter is eliminated. The companion flange is drilled to suit the halfshaft application. The flange is extended 19mm so it matches the 19mm offset of the Z31 front hubs. This allows using a set of wheels/tires of the same size for rotation. I prefer running the same width wheel/tire all around. The added 19mm will not have any measurable affect on axle strength. The manufacturer indicated no problem doing this. They produce massive numbers of axles for the major car companies too. The axle could just as easily be machined to the stock offset but same larger spline diameter, if desired. Spacers are eliminated. The flange is 5.9" diameter and round. It can be drilled to whatever bolt pattern the end user wants. I chose the 5 x 4.5" because it opens up the option of wheels available and the 19mm positive offset is very popular.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds good. Some day I may actually be able to remove the 3/4" spacers I have on the wheels now. What size nut are you looking at to bind all of this together. I've seen several failures on the nut side of the splines (too much tightening torque?), so will this be a larger diameter thread as well?

Not now. I'm threading to use the standard 280ZX lock nut. I've never seen a failure although my exposure to such things is limited. It would take a crap load of torque to cause the axle to fail there. In my mind, applying factory recommended torque would suffice holding things together and eliminate

fractures. The nut could only go so much bigger considering the constraints of the hub dimensions.

Hey Guys,

Don't know if this helps or not, but here is what I did to increase the offset and strength of the rear of my 240.

I got some rear control arms from a 85 300zx turbo, stubs and companion flanges. The bearing hub on this arm is welded on to the control arm. I cut the bearing hub off and cleaned up the left over welds making the OD of the hub concentric with the ID. So now I have a perfect set of bearing hubs. Next I took my 240 strut and removed the strut tube from it leaving only the casting (so it will fit in my lathe). I chucked this up in the lath and cleaned the ID of the casting. The ID of the casting is now exactly the correct size of the OD for the 300ZX hub. I then pressed fit the hub into the 240 strut casting and then welded around it with 309 stainless. So now the 240 strut uses 300zx turbo stub axle, bearings, companion flanges, CV axles and my offset is +20 mm to work perfectly with 40 offset wheels and no spacers.

I hope this make sense? Here are some pictures, and some numbers. Click on the pictures to go to my gallery for more more and bigger views.

Jeff

PICT9096.JPG

fisch.JPG

DSCN1089.JPG

strut_explode.jpg

strutdrawing.JPG

Rear_Strut.JPG

rear_Assm.JPG

DSCN1868.JPG

Img5613.JPG

That is some nice work there. You've covered a lot of bases in your suspension modifications. You've gone far beyond simply adding 5 bolts and positive offset. My attempts are to create a viable and simple alternative to the major fabrication you've undertaken.

I'm glad to see the response. Now for a reality check. The machinist screwed up. It's easily resolved but does present a minor setback. I provided drawings and a stock axle. I requested the identical axle dimensions (as far as bearing spacing,etc.) but with the flange pushed 3/4" more outboard. What he did was machine a stock axle with a 3/4" thicker bearing stop. The axle is 3/4" too short now. After I got over the frustration I had to laugh. At least I'm heading the right direction.

Not now. I'm threading to use the standard 280ZX lock nut. I've never seen a failure although my exposure to such things is limited. It would take a crap load of torque to cause the axle to fail there. In my mind, applying factory recommended torque would suffice holding things together and eliminate

fractures. The nut could only go so much bigger considering the constraints of the hub dimensions.

Unfortunately I thought that is where they primarily fail.

DCP_1894rw2_750s.jpg

Well, I have considered this. I persomally feel this failure point is directly related to overtorquing the lock nut. The only force applied here is the clamping force. Even in a high speed turn the side loads imposed should be lower than that required to snap the axle here. Since I need to have the axles machined again I will look into a larger nut too. Any suggestions here?

...Since I need to have the axles machined again I will look into a larger nut too. Any suggestions here?

Mark, I recall from measurement that the Z31 lock nut is slightly larger in diameter (both internal and external). Just make sure it will fit in whatever companion flange you are going to use.

Can someone mic a Z31 stub axle for me. I need to know the diameter of the threaded portion for the nut. Thanks ahead of time.

It's 22mm with a 1.50mm thread. The S30/S130 stub axle thread has a diameter of 20mm.

24mm x 1.5mm is also a common size for spindle nuts:

http://www.rockfordcv.com/PDF%20Downloads/Spindle_Nuts.PDF

Z31_locknut_thumb.jpg

I'm finalizing a new drawing for the 19mm offset stub axle. Having looked at larger nuts I'm leaning towards the 22mm 1.5 size. The reason is twofold. One, a 2mm diameter jump is actually quite substantial. It also allows companion flanges to be machined for those using the early 4 bolt U-joint halfshaft as well as larger flange bolt patterns. This should help reduce the number of different stub axles and companion flanges needed to cover a wide array of applications. Secondly, I think the failure at the thread/spline area is caused by over-torquing and/or stretch when the splines start to deform (twist). The larger spline area should eliminate the second issue entirely.